Double Standard Bull! Teacher Sex

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gwuMACaddict, Nov 22, 2005.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Not to say that I disagree w/ you, but it's not like she isn't being punished. Your title seems a bit misleading.
    House arrest isn't a party, and she is only 25 which means she'll most likely be single and alone for a long long time because she will be spending the brunt of her 'youthful' years stuck in her home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Part of the reason why she wasn't jailed:

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, I guess the guy's lawyer could simply claim that his client was too attractive for prison. And that his marriage was causing him mental stress.

Florida's a messed-up, backward-ass state.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF??!!! That p***** me off. She should have gone straight to jail. Oh but- I guess if you're an attractive, 25 year-old teacher, you don't. :mad:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I REALLY hope you're being sarcastic. If I did this, could I get out of jail because I'm cute?

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I feel it's different. A man's penis is typically regarded as a 'forceful' instrument in sex crimes. So when a man rapes a girl, it's bad and the man needs to be jailed.

Somehow in the case of a woman raping a boy, the boy needs to be erect for the rape to occur, so in a way, the boy is part of the act.

*think sports, think sports*

7. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's because you are a man. Men are treated differently from women. That's reality.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're full of s*** Lacero. It's no different. She's an adult- he was a kid. The damage to him may be different, but it's still damage.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Yeah, well, I'm sure that's how the judges in this case saw it. Sorry if you feel differently.

10. mpw Guest

That is so screwed-up. What kind of punishment is that? Where's the loss of real freedom? Does anywhere have more detail on the conditions of her house arrest, whether it'll be 24hr or is she going to be allowed out to work etc.?

I'd bet $1million that that sentence wouldn't have been doled out to a male teacher who nailed a 14yr old girl. The double standards are disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves.

So this gorgeous 25yr old is forced to stay home, has already been through the public ringer so doesn't have much to lose and is obviously highly-sexed. What's to stop her hooking-up a few web-cams at home and charging people to watch her 'be punished'. I guarentee she'd make a fortune especially as the media would give her so much free publicity.(I'm only ½joking too)

I was already wound-up today before I read this.:mad:

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a plea bargain, which means that everyone involved with the case agreed to the sentence.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

12. mpw Guest

:eek:
    That's such a crap argument.
    Are you saying that if a 14yr old girl agrees to sex with a 25yr old man there's nothing wrong?

EDIT:
    Might have jumped in a little strong here, we'll see once I calm down from today.
    :eek:

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree w/ Lacero. And what I meant to say is that I feel like double standards aren't right either... but they exist.

And gender and sex discrimination still exists, and probably always will.

Totally irrelevant but equally 'unfair;' if a woman is raped/sexually assaulted/coerced, even now, even today, one of the very first questions anyone will ask her (if she was even brave enough to break her silence) is, 'What were you wearing?' As if she 'invited' the attack, and yet, think of if a man were to admit being assaulted, do you think people's first question to him is how he had dressed that day?

Face it... double standards exist all the time and all over the place. And in this one instance, I do happen to agree w/ the judge's ruling. The teacher is being punished by the law, and you sure can bet she will forever be punished socially and out there whenever she completes her probation and house arrest. It will be on her record forever that she is a sex offender, and one of the worst perceived types; one that victimized a minor.

14. mpw Guest

Would you be content to see a 25yr old male teacher get the same sentence had he been caught having sexual relations with a female (or male) 14yr old student?

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

How convenient of you to have completely skipped over the first part of my post stating that it may not be fair, but double standards do in fact exist... and I in fact stated a double standard that works in favor of men.

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I disagree - the fact that everyone agreed to a plea bargain is not an indication that they felt the result was good as much as they felt it was their best course of action.

There have been multiple recent instances of female teachers having sex with male students that resulting in little, if any, jail time. That is astounding.

I wasn't able to find similar male teach-female student instances where the teacher was let off so easily.

17. mpw Guest

Not trying to cherry-pick but I see the two parts of your post as seperate and was asking just about the second.

I don't disagree that it may not be fair but that doesn't make it right.

As far as the first part of your post goes I'd say what the male victim was wearing\doing would be a line of questioning just as it would in the case of a female victim.

18. emw macrumors G4

emw

Is anyone arguing that double standards don't exist? I'd say we're arguing that they shouldn't exist in the judicial system. Your example of the rape victim, while potentially a double standard (can't say I've ever asked something like that), is not something that applies here. If you can tell me that a judge hearing the trial would ask the woman what she was wearing and use that as a point for or against her at the trial of her rapist, I'd be surprised.

How many people can give a list of the sex offenders that live around them? Probably not very many. Point is, if she moves to a new city/state, then she will likely be able to resume her life fairly quickly. Unlike the male teacher who gets 5-10 for having "consensual" sex with a 15 year old female student.

19. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ooo- i started a good one!

and for the first time i think i agree with lee in the political forums:D

i know there will always be double standards, but this really makes me angry. maybe all you girls should go rob banks and shoot people too- you'll only have to deal with house arrest if you're cute and vulnerable...:rolleyes:

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is a perfect example of a case which deserves absolutely no attention beyond the people immediately involved. The fact that it's become such a big story is a measure of our national obsession with the sordid and trivial.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm sorry- I would see this as sordid and trivial if the law were applied equally to those involved. I personally see this case as an illustration of what's wrong in our judicial system. If we are going to have a law, apply it equally.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No laws are applied "equally" in all cases because no two situations are identical. This is why we have courts and judges making these decisions, instead of machines, which I'm sure could be made to be more consistent in rendering their decisions than human beings.

In any event, I am simply pointing out that this case deserves no national attention because it has absolutely no national significance, and you can bet it would not be receiving any did it not involve sex between a photogenic young woman and a 14 year-old boy.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, and that's the point. All of this stuff about "Oh, but it was agreed upon in a court of law" is just crap. Just because this is the outcome doesn't make it right. That's like saying, "Oh, but the outcome is acceptable because in reality, there are double standards in this world." This entire thread is basically about how this case of the "double standard" is way out of hand.

You're right. This IS totally irrelevent. This thread was about double standards related to the jail time received when a particular crime was committed. In this case, she didn't get any. None.

And being too pretty isn't a good reason. If a cute guy goes to jail, maybe he'll get raped. But oh yes, "there are double standards in this world."

24. mpw Guest

I agree.

I haven't stated what I feel about the crime itself or the people involved other than the lawyers and judge and the crap decision they've made to treat this criminal different because she were pretty.

Doesn't judgeing people based on their looks go against just about every law written in decades, if not ever? What's the next step start perscuting ugly people? If you've not got blonde hair and blue eyes....that sound familiar?

25. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I agree, and yet, our judicial system is still based on people and people will inevitably hold biases and be swayed by emotion.
    It doesn't apply to this exact case, no, but it does apply to sexual assault cases all around because it's not just friends and family that asks these victims such questions--- the police ask these questions and in turn, that police report is crucial to the case in court.

It also shows inaccuracies due to biases of others in a government/ authoritative positions, just as this case shows such discrepancies.