Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reclaimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
As some of you may know, I just got a PB this week, and wanted to transfer my iPod and all of its music from my Windows box to my PB...and I did, successfully. I just checked my music folder, though, and noticed EVERY song in my library (about 2 days worth of music), I have two of each mp3 file! Is there an easy way to get rid of the doubles? I'd hate to delete each and every duplicate file.
Would it be possible to just delete all the music and folders, and then resynch my iPod and use a program to transfer the songs from my iPod back to the PB? (I believe there is a program that allows this...if I recall)

Or, if there's an easier way than that, I'd like to know as well.
I've just got twice the amount of music files that I really have, and it's taking a pretty chunk out of my hard drive.

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
I was just thinking about preventing that when I am going to transfer music from my desktop to my new laptop because
I had duplicate copies with my windows machine when i was converting all of my music from some file type to AAC. What I did was just delete everything and start over....
I'm sure that somebody has a better way of fixing it than I did....

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
wellll....we all know that if u convert from mp3 to aac, you will have the same song in both types. so heres what i figured out that made it easy to remove the bigger size mp3 file...open itunes and go to edit>view options, and MAKE SURE " KIND " is checked.. a new column with kind will show up next to time played, rating, etc etc. click the KIND tab , and itll arrange all aac files first, then mp3 files after. like this deleting mp3 files is easier....hope it helped...im not to good at explaining things but i tried.... heres a quick pic if it helps...

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 95

Reclaimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'll give you a quick update:

I tried what was suggested about showing the AAC and MP3 files in iTunes, but the odd thing is, only the original files are showing in my iTunes library. The only place the doubled files show up is in my Music folder on my hard drive. Everything in iTunes seems A-OK

Originally, I thought it was only .m4a files to blame, but it looks like there are some mp3 and other media files involved as well. Here's a little more insight on what's happening, just in case: in a given folder in my Music folder, I may have a song titled "Song.m4a" and another file titled "Song 1.m4a"

The_Man

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2005
AJ Muni said:
wellll....we all know that if u convert from mp3 to aac, you will have the same song in both types. so heres what i figured out that made it easy to remove the bigger size mp3 file...open itunes and go to edit>view options, and MAKE SURE " KIND " is checked.. a new column with kind will show up next to time played, rating, etc etc. click the KIND tab , and itll arrange all aac files first, then mp3 files after. like this deleting mp3 files is easier....hope it helped...im not to good at explaining things but i tried.... heres a quick pic if it helps...

The problem is that if you do not have the music already in iTunes, then it is a pain in the @$$ to remove. That is what happened to me, I had all my music jumbled up and spread around my computer so it would have taken forever to put it into iTunes, not to mention that I still needed to finish converting some of the music, so therefore I did not know which ones were duplicates.

From what I got from his story is that he had duplicates of the same filetype, so I dont think that sorting by kind would work in this case.

Reclaimer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Fixed that problem real quick. :D

I just found that not only did each file have a double in each folder, but I also had the iTunes folder, which contained all the songs as well...so in essence, I had triple the songs.
I just decided to delete everything in my music folder except the iTunes folder, which contains all my music.

My trash can now holds 3.13 gigs of duplicate music files....

....and they're gone. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.