Double the Troops in "Surge"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Feb 1, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

defensetech

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Bush would've made a good mob accountant. He really knows how to manipulate numbers.

4. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You should have seen me earlier when I heard this on Countdown. I was absolutely furious. Ready to scream if nobody was around.

Add another tick mark to the house of lies from the Bush 43 era. People thought 20,000 was bad, now this is just absolutely outrageous. What exactly is the difference between troops and support troops to Mr. Bush? Are they not as important to mention as regular troops, even though they are still risking their lives in a country that Mr. Bush, to my knowledge, has not even step foot in. If somebody can prove to me that he's been in Iraq, I'll take that back. But I do not remember a time when this has happened.

5. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

He's been there at least once (link). But if you total up all the hours he's spent there I'm pretty sure it's under 12, and he's never been there overnight. Not to mention he's only been in the most secure areas (not that I blame him for that since if I had to go that's where I'd want to be too, of course I didn't send the troops there either).

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

just about every trip any executive branch person has made to iraq since this thing started has been a suprise visit.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've heard rumblings of ~50,000 troops elsewhere. I don't think it'll happen, but if it does, I doubt it will help. Just more of the same old thing.

8. Queso macrumors G4

So how is Bush going to cut the US's carbon emissions when he has to fly back 48,000 extra coffins?

9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Why doesn't that happen though? I mean, is everyone a pu$$y or what? As much as Bush sucks, I think everyone else sucks more for not taking care of him and for letting him do what he wants to.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Well, thanks for your vote of confidence in our professional well trained soldiers. ;)

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

More of the same I see. This war was supposed to cost under $75 billion, and take less than 6 months with minimal troops.

The medicare bill was only supposed to cost half of what it ended up costing. And now we're supposed to believe that this surge will be in the numbers Bush provides for both cost and troops?

I'd be ecstatic about this if I cared as little for the lives of American troops as Bush apparently does -- this is just one more nail in his political coffin.

Worst President Ever isn't going to be just rhetoric...

12. Queso macrumors G4

Sadly the more US troops land on Arab soil, the more the violence will escalate. You could put the entire US Army into that country and you'd still lose.

Good job you've got lots of space in the US for new military cemeteries. If that was us, we'd probably have to bulldoze Wales or something :p

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This president has lied to us so many times it aint funny, lied on Iraq,on the costs, on the outcome,on global warming, etc etc.. its a pattern for this whitehouse to SPIN SPIN SPIN.:D

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is complete and utter hyperbole!

Then again, why am I not surprised! ;)

15. Queso macrumors G4

Oh all right, you got me. 47,000 :p

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If it were me in congress, I'd have pushed for it a long time ago. Bush should be in prison, not running the country.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I'd drop his smug little arse into the middle of Iraq, so the natives can welcome him with open arms. But that's just me.

18. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Okay, I take it back.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

On treason charges. The man swore to uphold, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. Yet we've got signing statements, illegal wiretapping and 3000+ American deaths (and who knows how many tens of thousands of Iraqi deaths) that were predicated on a very deliberate lie.

I agree with you. Congress being afraid to go after this administration is like the FBI being afraid to go after the Mafia.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

There'd be nothing left of him. :eek:

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He's on TV at the moment talking about how important it is to balance the budget in 5Years when he's long gone, where the hell has his Veto pen been the past 6 years. The guy is so loaded with lies and spin it makes me want to puke. He never once said no to his republicans. I notice he isnt talking about Iraq. The states need to get together and build a complete new federal govt in my view. The one we have is BROKEN.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

downside?

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There would be nobody to stand trial for War Crimes except Tony Blair, Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Still...not a bad result is it.

25. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I agree that state governments are far more efficient than the federal government, which with all its money, can't seem to benefit the country at large well--it didn't prevent 9/11, responded poorly to Katrina, has not protected workers with good wages, and has denied the existence of global warming.

Re: the troop numbers, the phrase, "fuzzy math" comes to mind. Sheesh.