Doubling the speed of Firefox: A Guide

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jalexster, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, You can make Firefox go twice as fast with one simple option change. And it only has one draw back.

The key? IPv6. By disabling IPv6 in Firefox, it doubles the speed. I guess this is because Firefox by default first checks for IPv6 adresses when it scans URLS, and then checks for IPv4 adresses. So by making Firefox stop looking for IPv6 adresses, it speeds up. Because 99 percent of the time, websites you visit, won't use IPv6 yet, so it's pointless.

Of couse, in the future you will need to turn it back on. Because if you don't an evil monkey will move into your closet. Or more likely you won't be able to visit certain sites.

Here is what to do:

In the location bar, go to:
    about:config
    In the search bar (at the top of the about config page. Not the Google search box), type in:
    network.dns.disableIPv6
    When this preference turns up, it will by default be set to false. Double-click it to set it to true, and disable IPv6 (obviously).
    Now restart firefox.

Now everything should be faster. Remember, if you have any troubles, do this again, but set it back to false.

Good luck, hope you like this little cheat. And god help me if everyone already knows about it. It will make me look like an idiot. Oh wait, this community dosen't flame others. I was browsing the GameFAQs and Bungie forums eariler, so I wasn't used to not getting flamed around every corner.

Oh, and don't forget to meantion if you need any more help. And I am not liable if you screw up firefox. Anyway, a preference clear will do the trick if you do.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I followed what you were saying up until entering the phrase in the search bar. Do you mean the google type search bar? I just get google results. But I was able to scroll down and manually change the settings. It does seem to improve loads somewhat. But out of curiousity, aren't addresses checked at the IPV6 level by the system (maybe by the wireless router, while its acting as a gateway)?

Anyway, neat find! :)

3. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Sorry to be daft, but what is the "location bar?" :confused:

4. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

where you type.. http://www.macrumors.com!

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Hmm. Mine was already set to true but I have the G4 optimized version of firefox so maybe that is why.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Mine was already set to "true" as well. Where do you get the G4 optimized version of Firefox, btw?

Edit: Found the G4 optimized builds... Google yields all.

Edit2: This seems alot faster, even with page renders. Tabbing is much faster though, as many have reported. Definitely a must.

7. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot to add something.

To change it from false to true and back again, just double-click it.

8. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Thanks, indeed now opens/loads much faster. Nice trick :D

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

There is no space in about:config

in case you're stuck

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit