Douglas Adams 'predicts' Automator

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stoid, May 20, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I was reading The Salmon of Doubt which contains several random musings by Douglas Adams. Listening to it, I caught a rant that he submitted to MacUser back in 1989 that describes a productivity system very similar to Automator.

It's about halfway down in the full article.

2. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Good find. A brilliant man with quite a legacy of work behind him.

I still automater now & then, but most of the time I find myself doing things over and over saying to myself "should have used automator on this one!"
    Just gotta start remembering its there to help me.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I agree, truly brilliant guy, shame :(

Easy criteria - if you've got 10+ files that you think you'll need to do similar things to. open automator and see if it's possible

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Actually, what he describes in that quote is a lot closer to OpenDoc than Automator. It was a "mix and match your app" framework that Apple was working on in the mid (I think) 90s, but never went anywhere. Apple's old Cyberdog browser was based on it, I think.

5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yeah, that sounds more like it. The main difference between Automator and what he was saying is that Automator automates repetitious tasks, but it doesn't bring in different ideas from different apps and let you use what you want. Close, but not the same. Brilliant guy though.

P.S. What killed OpenDoc?
    -Chase