Dowload Nighty WebKit builds?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by todd2000, Aug 29, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I love Safari, but the memory leak is killing me. I had a bunch of windows open, and I closed all but 3 of them, and it was still taking 192MB of Ram, for 3 windows. Anyway I was searching around and found this page http://forums.macnn.com/82/applications/303169/will-apple-ever-fix-safari/ One person says "There are actually many different leaks, not one big one, as well as things that aren't leaks but still take lots of memory. Many leaks have been closed in the nightly builds, since they're using ~1 year newer code than the system version of Safari.

Check out nightly.webkit.org"

but someone else said they tried it once and it broke stuff.

Anyone here ever download any of the updates do they help the memory leaking, or are they more likely to break things?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's safe to try out the nightly builds because they don't replace the system libraries. If you have a problem with a nightly, your regular Safari is still intact. It's only if you run Safari using the little launcher app included with the nightly that the new libraries are used.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to know, do they help the memory leaki any? Im gonna try one tonight and see what happens

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

u will have to try out by yourself, since different browsing pattern will have different impact on memory management. Even in safari, not everyone has memory leak.