Down the Drain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

This article in the NY Times describes a "controversial" highschool production of Grease, which was canceled due to objections from certain elements of the community. Their spring production, The Crucible, was also cancelled to do it's possibly offensive nature. Reading the article through, it makes my heart wither at every paragraph.
    My god. The irony of cancelling The Crucible. What should be the controversial issue is the rampant censorship in this highschool. How is it that some people think that representing tough (sometimes bad) choices on stage is bad in any way, shape or form? Jeezus, life is full of controversy and offense. Get over it. At least all those kids now know what Big Brother looks and sounds like. Maybe we'll have to wait for the next generation to save us.

2. iGary Guest

iGary

New Zealand, Australia or Canada. Can't decide where I'm moving.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you decide to head north, I can give you a lift.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Man, I might join you. People who are so bound up in their religion should have no place in society to speak their minds on secular events. "Pardon me, but I don't like your religious plays depicting a half-nude Jesus." Like any of us have said that about their crap productions. GAH!

iGary, do you have a lot of stuff? Maybe we should just rent a u-haul?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Travel light and ship everything later or customs will assrape you at the border.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

I've got family in NZ. I plan to spend some time there after I graduate, and you're more than welcome if you need a place to stay. ;)

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sounds about right to me. Don't worry fellas, there's going to be a backlash just like there was in the 60s after the 50s. Look at what happened in PA. They go too far, they get voted right out. It might take more time than most of us want to give it, but remember, it wasn't too long ago that black people had to sit at the back of the bus and use different water fountains. ;) Times change, and with a new regime, things might actually start to get better.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Thats Missouri for you. Well, kinda. I remember my high school in the STL area did The Crucible awhile back and didn't get any complaints. In fact, I remember the drama department doing some more rated R plays without problems. I guess STL isn't as bad as the hick towns.

I had the pleasure of stopping in Fulton for gas a year ago. Seemed like a really tiny, trashy conservative town. Couldn't wait to fill up and get out.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not sure what makes my head hurt worse, the narrow-minded arrogance or the massive amount of irony.

But as a funny aside according to family legend (I say legend because I have only word of mouth) an ancestor of mine on my mother's side was a victim of the Salem witch trials.

Lethal

11. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I must be the only person i know who's never seen Grease in its entirety - but only because it seems like a load of crap. Give me Scorpio Rising any day. (i'd like to THAT as a high school production).

All welcome by the way. We need more people - the sheep ratio is still embarrassing.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

iGary, Pseudobrit, Onizuka -- y'all have a standing invitation to move to Victoria. Just PM me - help you with apartments, jobs, whatever.

No smiley, I'm serious.

iGary, we got great sailing --- notsomuch on the snow however, gotta go up the mountain for that. Pictures from today

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As if you'd be safe in Canada. :p Ya'll are next.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Thanks for the offer. I may need to take you up on it down the road. Right now I'm leaning to Ottawa or Montréal.

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

I'd move somewhere with a lower tax rate, but that's just me...

16. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That is horrible.

Luckily not all of the US is like that. My high school in Illinois regularly did plays like Chicago, Kiss Me Kate and Cabaret and no one complained. In fact most people agree that Chicago was the best play they did.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

18. iGary Guest

iGary

Can I get married there?

19. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Damn... I'm seriously thinking about this. I do have one question though... In Victoria, do I have to put up with Canucks fans?

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You could get married here, it's just that most of the states and the federal government wouldn't recognize it. :p

Wait, that's not funny. :(

21. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you can here. Not to a sheep tho, yet. Not legally married anyway.