Down to either a Emac or Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brenton, Apr 17, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Hello everyone. I am deciding which to get as my first mac. A Mac Mini or a Emac

First off the Mac mini. If I got that. I would want the apple keyboard and mouse and probaly a new screen. and plus speakers

If I got a Emac thats all I would need

The advantages that emac has over mac mini are

2 Ram slots
    Faster Harddrive
    3 usb ports instead of 2
    Microphone built in Emac. nowhere to plug in Mac mini unless you get some adapter thing.
    The speakers and screen are already in the Emac

The advantages that mac mini has over emac are

Price
    Size/Weight

So which do you think I should get

Thanks

Im sortof leaning towards the Emac

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I guess you're on a budget right?
    I'd really stronglt recommend you buy a mac that you can upgrade (like a powermac model)
    What are you going to do with the machine? (This is the first question you should ask when you decide to buy any computer - everything stems from there!)
    The included screen in the emac is a great benefit. Footprint wise, it's suprisingly compact. But the Mini has advanced outputs for screens. (I've heard that people are going to get mini's to put next to their TV's)
    You NEED at least 80GB these days! (Especially if you're going to use it for a music collection)

But - All this means nothing to me without knowing - What are you going to use this computer for?

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

wait till the emac is updated then buy it, it's comming very soon it's been more than a year.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm with Hector: Wait until the new eMacs are announced, there might be a very good deal in the near future...

That said, I'm usually sceptical to the non-portable all-in-one machines, like the eMac and the iMac, and think you get more value for your money to buy a seperate machine and Screen, because normally a screen will last you longer than the rest of the machine... So, normally I'd say get the mini, a cheap 17" LCD, Apple Keyboard and a cheap two-button scrollwheel mouse... but right now I'm very curious to the new eMacs, as to their configuration and price...

5. Ensoniq macrumors regular

If you're willing to live with a CRT screen instead of buying an LCD, the eMac is superior to the Mac mini in every way. Keyboard and mouse included, all-in-one unit, faster hard drive, faster optical drive, easier to add RAM, HD, and Airport later.

The only thing the Mac mini currently has going for it is the 1.42 GHz model, while the eMacs are 1.25 GHz only. As soon as the next eMac comes out, and reaches 1.42 GHz, assuming prices stay the same it will be the definite choice.

If Apple still sold the 17" LCD, and did so for $499, then $999 or $1099 for a Mac mini plus 17" Apple LCD would be a good deal. But since the only Apple LCD you can buy is a minimum of $999, then a Mac mini with a $1499 or $1599 price tag really doesn't even make sense. For that price, you'd be better off getting an iMac G5 and skipping a G4 machine altogether.

The Mac mini is sleek and sexy, just like the Cube was, and that is why it's so popular. It still happens to suffer from the Cube syndrome though...which is that when you really sit down and figure out the price, it's over priced for what it delivers unless you admit you're buying it for style over substance. On that front alone, it kicks serious ass. ;)

In my opinion, anyway...

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I would have to agree with Ensoniq that the eMac is a winner in most ways over the Mac mini.

I have one as a backup to my PB 12". And it is faster than my PB 12" in many tasks. And the current models span the monitor with a hack, so I have a Dell 2001FP as the primary monitor and the 17" as the secondary.

7. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Another question

Thanks. but I have 2 questions

1. Is there any chance emacs could get announced to get updated tomorrow

2. When will there be 512 in emac stock

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Hey, if you want to weigh in price, check Apple's refurbished section.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Actually I would wait till after April 29th. Then you would have Tiger installed.

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Whoa, now the Mac mini is overpriced? Now I've heard everything! The cube was $1800 when it was released, the mini is over a thousand dollars less. It's definitely price competitive with cheap PC's. You don't have to get the $1000 Apple monitor--you could get one of those cheap <$100 monitors if you were really on a budget.

11. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

HP computer parts and Mac mini.

Hi, my parents have an old HP Pavillion they bought about four years ago. It is really unusable now. Horrible machine. However, I am trying to convince them to buy the Mac Mini. What would it be like to us a pavillion keyboard, mouse, and 17-inch CRT? Does anyone have a similar set up? I really wish they would get a mac. They would really enjoy it. Currently, they are in computer hell. Thanks for your quick response.

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

You should probably start a new topic to get advice instead of posting in this one, but you are exactly the type of person that Apple built the Mac mini for. It is really designed to be used with your old PC monitor, keyboard, and mouse (provided they are USB), so everything should work just fine. At $500, you really can't go wrong. It would definitely get you out of computer hell :)

13. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Mini $499 (iLife05 inc)
    BenQ 15" LCD $100
    1 GB DDR $100
    Decent External HD (250 GB 7200 rpm) $150
    Decent External DVD Burner (16x Dual Layer) $100
    USB Keyboard and mouse $30

$980 + tax assuming you don't already have any of the parts. Not bad IMO

A refurb iMac G5 is still a better bet if you are strting with nothing.

14. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

*cough* eMacs will be updated soon *cough*

Well, I reccomend waiting until we hear of updates!

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

depends on the person. i personally don't like all-in-one computers, but that's just me. that's why i got a mini, since i already had a screen anyways. you can always update the screen and stuff for the mini.

16. belf8st macrumors member

Where can you find a 15" lcd for $100?

17. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I hate wires. Having a mini means having at least 3 wires which is two more than is required for the eMac. I have owned 3 eMacs and they are very upgradeable. I just sell it and use the money to upgrade. This is made possible because Macs hold their value so well.

18. brenton thread starter macrumors member

Alright

I think im gonna get a emac. thanks everyone

19. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

If the 17" CRT is enough for you, then get the eMac. Its slightly more upgradeable than the Mini is, and has many key advantages. Just make sure that if you get an eMac to get some good speakers for it, because the build in speakers sound like crap and cause the image on the monitor to ripple.

New eMacs should hopefully be out soon with far better video cards (hopefully!), so make sure you wait for those.

20. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The big advantage for the Mac mini in the price area, is for those that have a monitor already, and maybe a keyboard/mouse.

The Mac mini really excels at it small foot print, and for those that want an LCD monitor for their desktop.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you reckon if everyone here says that the eMacs are getting updated, we'll all be sued? ;)

As everyone seems to be saying, wait for the 1.5GHz+ eMacs.

22. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If those are your only 2 options i would go for the mini. Just get it with a gig of ram. It's also faster then the emac. I don't find the emac attractive at all and it doesn't really have many advantages over the mini. But thats just my view.

23. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Go for the eMac. The mini is sold so you can bring your own keyboard, mouse and monitor! Why bother, get the eMac. OK it aint as stylish but it is an unbelievable computer. My girlfriend got one a couple of years ago and it is a fantastic machine.

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Makes sense that the remaining Mac's with video cards that are not compatible with Core Images, to either EOL'd or to have them updated. Otherwise it might be a headache for Apple, with low-end consumers feeling as they can't take full advantage of Tiger. In particular if iPhoto 5.1 (or would it be 5.5? :D ) adds Core Image compatibility.