Downgrade Advice Please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skunk, Jun 5, 2005.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Having tried 10.4.1 since it came out, I'm fed up with it. Too many quirks, too many crashes, no visible benefit. All previous upgrades have brought obvious improvements and added functionality, but for the life of me I can't see anything worth having in Tiger. Now I just want my reliable 10.3.9 back. What I want to know is what happens to Mail messages: they all get "updated" when you install Tiger, so I'm wondering whether 10.3.9's Mail will be able to access them? If anyone else has reverted to Panther, could you share any tips here, please?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry I can't help you with the downgrading question. Doesn't it seem like more work than it's worth though. It might be easier just waiting for 10.4.2 or whichever release is more stable rather than doing a clean install of Panther. Are there any specific problems with Tiger that we could try to fix or is it just generally screwed up?

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Whew! Where do I start? Firstly, I just do not feel comfortable with Tiger: it simply doesn't feel safe. Spotlight - even after re-indexing - cannot find things on my desktop, or in certain folders. I much prefer the old Find system. Dashboard is simply a waste of space. Automator is handy for renaming batches of files, but other than that, I have no use for it. The new Mail app has no progress report on sending mail (why the downgrade?), vile interface, gratuitous cosmetic changes. Preview fishes unrelated thumbnails out of god knows where and attaches them to groups of files: these were thumbnails from deleted files! The only way to correct it was to re-open them in PS7 and Save As, overwriting the originals. Both PS7 and AI10 have started crashing/hanging regularly, which they never did before. PS7 comes up with a box saying "Adobe File Parser is having difficulties -37" or "This format is not included in this edition". Weird stuff. And Word 2004 is even slower and more crash-prone than before. I honestly can't see any improvement whatsoever for my money. If I could apply for a refund, I would.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oh, is that all.

Just kidding, that sounds pretty rotten. It's weird how Tiger has been so inconsistent in terms of quality, with some users having trouble and others not. You'd think that a modern OS would at least show consistent faults.