Downgrade Airport Firmware?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chaosbunny, May 10, 2006.

1. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hello!

Is it possible to downgrade the firmware of an airport extreme base station? I want to connect a computer to my home network but its wireless options (usb adaptor) only allow 40/128 bits hex and ascii encoded passwords. My airport extreme base station is running the latest firmware update, 5.6 was it I guess, were I can only create WPA or WEB passwords. So, while I find my network with the mentioned machine I can not connect because there is no password option the computer and the base station share.

I think there are firmware "downgraders" for such things on the apple homepage, but after some serious searching I was not able to find anything.

Of course I could reset the whole base station but I don't want to rebuild my network with all the settings for this.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help!

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just search for the firmware you want to install via Google. It's there. I downgraded to get my PSP working awhile back (the PSP was known to not work with a certain version of the Airport Firmware). I'm not really clear on why your situation won't work though as I'm pretty sure you can do a WEP connection with the latest firmware. But you know what you've got so... go at it! :) You don't need a downgrade program... just install whatever firmware you want and it'll "upgrade" to an old version.