Downgrade an app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gaanee, Dec 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Is it possible to downgrade an app. For some apps the older version works better than the newer one. So lets say if I save a copy of the .ipa file of the older version of an app, upgrade the app in itunes and then want to switch to older version, can I just put the .ipa file back in the Mobile Applications folder and sync?

2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. macrumors regular

why don't you try? If you have an old copy of an app, give it a go. It should work but who knows....

4. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

I can't verify -- I've never downgraded an app. Nor have I ever felt I had to. Give it a try and keep us posted on your results!

5. macrumors 6502

MacDevil7334

Yes you can downgrade as long as you have an old version on your computer. Delete the offending version from your phone and from the apps section on iTunes if its there too. Then drag the older version back into the apps section of iTunes, sync your phone, and you should be back in business. I have done this several times with the twitter app with no problems.

6. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, what mac said above.
    As long as the ipa is the official one used under your itunes account you can delete the new one and copy back the old one and sync it back with itunes.
    If you delete the old ipa and you dont have any old copies of it anywhere then there is no way to dowgrade.
    Unless you're JB and download an older version of the app on the internet and then sync it to your JB iphone.