Downgrade from 10.7 (Lion) back to 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by PSpfano, Feb 26, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I have the 10.7 beta running on my iMac, and it has too many bugs so I want to go back to 10.6. If I do this will it work, and will it erase everything if I do downgrade?

2. macrumors 68020

Maclver

I don't think you can downgrade? thats why they say don't install on a main system? Best option will be to do a clean install anyways that way you ensure you get all the lion stuff off..

3. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Time Machine restore?

Man oh man, why are people installing the beta 10.7? What an unnecessary headache.

4. simsaladimbamba

Because that is the closest one can get to a pre-release product by Apple.

I did so too, but I properly prepared my Mac for it. I took it into my arm, asked the cat to take a stern look at the dog, which the dog doesn't like and which results in it peeing all over the place (what can you do, Dobermans are not the best puppies as it seems), during which I clean the HDD of all the unnecessary stuff like Solitaire and Minesweeper, get ahold of my fresh new Psystar laptop, contact Apple Resale Management and ask for a proper replacement of my former PowerMac G3, which I then absolutely not get, so I have to take matters in my own hand and call Lisa over and the Ballmer sweats like he was peed onto and asks for a nice cup of copy paper.
    I give him three, just so he is covered and then I install Lion onto my existing, not backed up and only working work Mac OS X installation and **** it all up. Again, the cat has to be punished and Lisa takes the dog, that other one, though a comparison is a ....

5. macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not to sound like a complete moral compass, but isn't "pre" release generally a tip off that it isn't likely to play nice with your daily computing usage?

Do what you want, it's your computer, and I've been in your shoes before so maybe that's why I'm talking like you should know better. Anyway, good luck on the fix but if anything, wipe your HDD and then Time Machine restore. If you don't have a TM backup then get creative my friend.

6. simsaladimbamba

I know that. Others know that too. And in turn others don't know.
    Let them play with it, some will take proper precautions, like a separate partition (I did) and some will not. The latter will have learnt something. Hopefully.
    Many people download the Windows 7 beta and did the same.
    It's curiosity that killed that cat, though it lets it flourish this time I guess.

Anyway, off to restoring my work ... ;)

7. macrumors newbie

Can't we just insert the SL installation disk and do the re-installation?

8. macrumors G3

roadbloc

This is exactly why I think it's stupid that people (non-devs) paying £99 for an early copy of Lion. I wouldn't install it on my main system even if it was free, never mind paying £99 for the pleasure.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Success

Actually, I put the SL install disk into my mac and installed that way and it worked perfectly. I didn't need to restore from a Time Machine backup. Thanks for the replies.

10. macrumors 6502

But when you did this, didn't you end up loosing all your data? Or after you installed you had a backup and simply restored?

-Mike

11. macrumors newbie

How did you proceed exactly? It seems that Lion doesn't allow a SL installation DVD to do anything. Did you erase Lion at first? Then how could you still keep all the data without using a Time Machine backup?

12. macrumors newbie

I had the same issue i tried using the retail copy of sl but it does not work i found the only way to downgrade is to use the disks that came with your mac .:apple::apple::apple::apple:

13. macrumors newbie

confused... the disk that came with the mac would work? I have a SL installation DVD which came with my MBP, but it didn't work. How did you do it?

14. macrumors newbie

Did you lose everything when reinstalling from the disk? What options did you choose?

15. macrumors newbie

Did you lose everything? What options did you choose to reinstall?

16. macrumors newbie

In fact that disk would work... Hold C when restarting the computer and it will bring you to the installation of SL. However, does normal re-installation keep all data and settings?

17. macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing, will all your data/apps remain intact if you re-install SL?

-Mike

18. macrumors newbie

I am very interested as well. I have a 11" MBA, and I want to revert from Lion to SL.

19. macrumors 6502

jeznav

Restore

You can always restore Mac OS X on top of an existing one as it only replaces System and Library folders and not your User folder which contains all your settings.

If you insert your Snow Leopard Installation disk and click on your hard drive that contains your current OS, it will notify you that it will be a 'Restore' installation.

20. macrumors 6502

Really, that would be awesome! Anybody try this?

-Mike

21. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Roll back to the last Time Machine backup that occurred before you installed 10.7.

(This should be common sense right?)

Remember to back up anything you've created or saved since then, since you'll lose those changes too.

Good luck!

22. macrumors newbie

To confirm: just insert the SL disk and hold C to enter installation, then proceed normally. You have have SL reinstalled without losing any of your data.

PS: My login password was somehow lost. I reset it in the installation mode (there is an option in the top menu when you try to start reinstallation).

23. macrumors newbie

To confirm: just insert the SL disk and hold C to enter installation, then proceed normally. You have have SL reinstalled without losing any of your data.

PS: My login password was somehow lost. I reset it in the installation mode (there is an option in the top menu when you are installing from the SL DVD).

24. macrumors newbie

Tried booting SL from the disc....just gray!

I tried booting SL from the DVD, and three other SL images from a flash-drive and an external HDD. It just hangs on the gray screen.

I am beginning to believe that one cannot install an OSX version older than the computer, as was previously said. This MacBook was made in July 2010.

To make things worse, it's a work computer. So dumb...I just wasn't thinking. I'd like not to get IT involved. Either way, if I has nothing to lose, (I'll back up) how would even IT get SL back on this machine? I can start SL after boot or boot from it. Rest SMC and PRAM. Can I format the drive some other way? In other word, what are the emergency procedures? Is it just finding the most recent SL image?

25. macrumors regular

If you paid for the ADC membership, just grab the dmg of 10.6.6. Being the latest version of snow leopard, it is for sure newer than your macbook.