downgrade from imacG5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atomiton, Jan 14, 2005.

1. atomiton macrumors regular

I'm using a G5 at work. iMac G5 1.6 768MB RAM

What's the chance of noticing the difference in speed between that and an ibook or mini mac with a G4 processor.

In what iApps will I notice a difference.

Also, is there any way an ibook can have a superdrive?

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

It'd be a major difference. The specs are similar to my PB (although I have more RAM). I tried a G5 iMac at the store, and I was blown away.

The 14" iBook has a bto option for a superdrive.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I would think the biggest difference you will notice is in iMovie. And perhaps iDVD if you get a DVD burner. You are talking about a downgrade so you will have an over all slow down, so it would help to know what programs and what you actually do with your computer to better understand your question.

Why do you want to dowgrade anyway? Unless your talking about a system to use at home.

4. maya macrumors 68040

maya

There will be quite a difference, then again it all depends on you. :)

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...Code=IBOOKSLDVDR8DL-A&Category_Code=STORDVDRW

^^ Dual Layer 8.5GB DVD disc and its an 8x burner. Apple only has a single layer 4x burner. :)

This option is worth it. :)

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wow! I never knew you could do that. Have you tried it, or do you know anyone that has tried it? That's something I might actually look into... I didn't get a superdrive in our iMac, thinking I was gonna buy an external, but this might be a better idea! :eek:

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I am waiting for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD internal burners, I know it will be sometime however not in a rush.

Or I might get an internal notebook dual layer once they reach 16x or 24x speed. :)

I have used the 4x DVD burners they are slow, the 8x are better however I like to make that wait as short as possible.

Yes, its legit and it works, far better than what Apple is offering too. :)

It comes with its own hardware warranty for a year as the Apple one as well. :)

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

whether or not you'll see a big difference depends entirely on what you do. My SP 1.8 Ghz G5 does not seem that much faster than my gf's SP 1.25 Ghz G4 on most tasks because I rarely do very processor intensive tasks. If you're rendering video all the time, of course you are going to see a big performance hit.

8. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

Okay.... yes it is for home.

I use the iMac at work... but still am on a PC at home.

Using the mac mini would allow me to "donate" it to parents down the line...

Using the iBook would be to have a mobile system.

I don't do video yet, though I'm interested in it... but I will be doing photo stuff.

i forgot the 14" had Superdrives capable... and that MCE drive looks fantastic.

The big problem with the ibook is that it's components are showing their age... slow hard drive and lack-lustre resolution capabilities.