Downgrade? Upgrade? Sidegrade? Steep Grade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Felldownthewell, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

So here is my deal. Back in April I got myself a MBP core duo with a couple of upgrades, and it has been great. However, I have found myself not using all of the potential power of the machine, and when I do, it is to play a game on the windows partitan. Add to that the 3 repairs and a replacement, and now a superdrive that dosen't work all the time, and I'm just getting tired of it all.

What I have been thinking about lately is selling my MBP and buying a low-end refurb macbook, as I love OS X and I need mobility, but I find that I only use it for casual stuff like internet and chat, and then buying a sub- $1000 gaming PC to play games on. I am really conflicted, and rather angry with myself for wanting to change things up again (I feel like I am never happy with what I have, and that I always want the latest and greatest, but in this case I am downgrading, so I don't know what to think). Anyway, at this point I have no idea what I want to do, but am looking for advice from my favorite online community.

What I guess I'd like to hear is people's experiances with low-end CD macbooks (how does OS X run with 512mb of RAM as opposed to the 1gb I am used to?), and people's experiances with two-system set-ups, especially mac/PC ones. Also, I am throwing this whole idea out to you guys before I have done a lot of research myself, but any horror/sucess stories with selling "big ticket" items through craigslist? (I'm avoiding ebay like the plauge...just can't deal with scammers and the like at the moment), and does anyone have advice on places to buy cheap gaming PCs/what exactly to put in my cheao gaming PC, or, since this is a mac forum, does anyone have advice on where to go to get PC advice? (And I don't mean PCrumors ) And finally, I am looking for advice on whether or not I should even be considering this...even the most rabid mac-fanboy (remember, here that isn't an insult! ) reasons for not doing this will be taken into consideration in my mildly addled brain.

Thanks!

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

You know, I don't think you would be satisfied if you down graded. I say this because once we get used to speed or a certain level of expectation, it is really really difficult to go back. I bought a BMW a few years ago, and it is very hard for me to go home and drive my parents old Rabbit that used to be mine. Sure there is something special about the car, but I am not as satisfied with it like I once was.
    Also, these Intel Mac's just love RAM, they eat it. I was getting constant pageout's on my MBP with 1 gig so I had to go to 2.

3. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

You have mentioned several repairs on your current MBP and now that your SuperDrive is not working properly.

I would strongly advise you to take your machine back to the local AppleStore
    and file a case number there and with Apple Customer Relations.
    Keep good records!

If you have one of the early release models affected by several issues, there's a chance Apple might "recover" your MBP and give you credit towards a new C2D replacement model.

A C2D MacBook 2.0 GHz with 2 GB RAM would cover the usage you've indicated, but I'm not so sure you would be happy downgrading.

If you decide to simply sell your current machine, I would hold off until you
    can replace it with a new one running Leopard.

4. JAT macrumors 603

Pfft! The MBs are just as fast as the MBPs with the same processor. Except for 3D video, which is obviously not a factor, here. If this was a talk about downgrading a CD2 2.33 to a CD 1.83, there could be some discussion of speed issues, but it's not.

But you won't be happy with 512MB ram. Assume 1GB for anything running Tiger.

I love Apple's refurbs.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

True, the speed difference would only come into play for playing games. I agree on the RAM thing as well, I don't think that only having 512MB of RAM is enough to enjoy using Mac OS X 10.4. :eek: :)

6. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

That is what I was thinking, especically if I was just using the machine for internet/word processing/movie watching.

Believe me I have talked to apple. The machine I'm running is a replacement for an earlier 2.0 CD which was fixed 3 times for 3 broken logic boards, and once because they returned it after a repair covered in scratches. When replacing it they bumped my processor to 2.16 over 2.0, which was great, but when my superdrive broke I decided I wanted to try to get a refund. Of course they wouldn't give it to me, and since then I haven't been able to go four-10 days without my computer to have it repaired (with finals and all). This computer has enough power for me, I just don't want all of my power to be mobile, I just feel like I want to seperate into low-power mobility and non-mobile high power.

Although it is a good idea to wait until MWSF to get 10.5 on the MB...would they put 10.5 on the refurbs or would they still be 10.4?

7. JAT macrumors 603

I think it comes down to the little things. Will you miss the extra pixels? The lighted keyboard? The color/metal of the case? The speakers are VERY quiet on the MB, if you use them regularly it is not great.

The MB is actually a bit sturdier, it seems, so that's in its favor. And the magnet latch is the best I've ever used.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you purchased a refurb after Leopard is released, Apple should provide you with a drop in 10.5 disc.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a rough go of it in reliabiity.

I've never once had a mechanical failure in any of my Apple products.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So you want 2 computers to do the job rather than a single system? Why? This may end up costing you money in the end, and you're going from a single system to 2 separate systems.

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

It may be better to have a sub-1000 gaming PC desktop and a Macbook vs using a Macbook Pro for everything. Let Windows run on a Core 2 Duo desktop under a grand with a good graphics card and keep your Mac pure.

Who cares if you have more than 1 computer? This is the 21st century now.

11. ready2switch macrumors 6502

Agreed. From the OP's posts it really sounds like this is what he wants. He's already stated that he isn't using (and won't use) the full potential of the MBP, wants a more relaxed portable system, and a desktop for gaming in windows. A referb MacBook and a Windows desktop just for gaming sounds like a winner here. And who cares if you have 2 systems? Especially if you only game on the desktop. Nothing to sync here. Move along. :p

12. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

It is a question I keep asking myself, and the best way I can explain it is that the MBP is amazing, but it is neither the tops in portability or in power. It makes compromises to meet portability and power halfway, but isn't top of class in either. I think I want the top end of both, and it seems like the split is the right way to go.

However, I have to think foward to college and really consider what I am going to be needing. I plan on majoring in photojournalism or journalism, which means I will be needing word processing and presumably photoshop. The way I see it, a 2.0 CD macbook is not a huge step down in processing power from a 2.16 CD MBP (especially because I bought a 2.0 MBP), and that I would only take the gfx card hit if I was using a program like motion or doing 3d modeling, which I will not be doing. I will also lose screen real-estate, but I will have to buy a monitor for the windows box anyway, so that shouldn't be a problem. The problem I am facing now is I can't decide if the MBP will be more useful in college as opposed to my proposed MB/Windows box idea, and that is something I guess I have to work out myself (although input is appreciated!)

I posted my MBP on craigslist as a feeler and in 2 hours I got three serious responses offering $2000. Considering I got the computer with a student discount for only $400 more 8 months ago, I think that those are pretty generous offers. Input?

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It would be remiss of course for me if I didn't throw in a recommendation for the Dell Precision M95.

A user review:
    http://www.hardforum.com/printthread.php?t=1125777

I have it's 'business-grade' twin, the Latitude D620. Not bad at all, pretty portable, nice size, plenty of configuration options, much less 'precious' than an MBP and definitely more ready for usable power on the move + the odd bit of gaming. It will definitely not turn heads but it does what it's supposed to do better than the Apples IMHO. Workhorse, or pretty horse which keeps stumbling?