Downgrading from G5 to quicksilver G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Mac-Xpert, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Today is my last day at my current job where I had the pleasure of using a 2.5 GHz G5. However my current boss wanted to go out of business and do something different, so he sold the company (a prepress/printing service company) to one of the printing companies that we cooperated with.

Unfortunately the equipment wasn't part of the deal, and the new company had no interest in buying the G5 for the price that my current boss wanted to sell it to them (he figured that the configuration of a one year old G5 2.5 GHz+23" Cinema display, 2 GB ram including the software should go for 4000 euros, while I had suggested around 2500 euros to be a decent price).

So I'm having mixed feelings about my new job. It's good to work at a company again that is somewhat future-proof, but I'm less happy to switch back to a quicksilver 1 GHz with a 21" CRT.

I just have to get used to it I guess, and wait till they update their machines again, maybe with the first Intel-macs..

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

its going to be hard on you, my dual 1.8GHz is WAYYYYY faster than my old 1GHz alu 15" powerbook.

3. Mac-Xpert thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I know what to expect. I previously used a Dual 867 before I got the G5. Sure the Quicksilver will work, just not as fast or as silently as the G5..
    oh well ....

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I would be very happy with that Quicksilver setup....it would beat my Dual 533. Don't act so spoiled! :D

Look on the bright side - at least you're still using a Mac!

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

kind of a bummer... but yes, at least still a mac at work... using a pc kills me..