downgrading mac osx lion to snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gsfesz, Apr 6, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

i have upgraded to mac osx lion but found it to buggy but i only have a back from lion any suggestions? thanks in advance:confused:

2. simsaladimbamba, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

simsaladimbamba

3. macrumors 68040

calderone

Erase and Install.

Lesson: Don't install preview/beta OS over your original OS when you are relying on that machine.

4. macrumors 604

+1. I'm going to wait till Lion has been out for 2-3 months and all the 3rd party software I use is compatible with it :D

5. macrumors 68030

Heilage

I thought this was mandatory information. Come on, why would you ever run a beta on your everyday computer?

Makes sense to me..

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

7. simsaladimbamba

A backup of what exactly?
    There is no way to downgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard without a clean install.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

I just started to back up when I installed lion

9. simsaladimbamba

Why not use Finder to just backup all your files and folders you are interested in, then reinstall Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and then get back the files and folders you were interested in from the backup you made before you reinstalled Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard?

10. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Back up your data, erase and install SL, re-install your apps and restore your data.

11. macrumors newbie

ahay

Don't restore if you did a Time Machine Backup in Lion

I've just reverted my system back to Snow Leopard, so as others have said you'll need to format and start over fresh, where I went wrong though is that i'd stupidly let Time Machine backup in Lion, and after installing SL I restored all my data from that backup and found it had installed the Lion applications as well i.e. Launchpad etc. In addition to this a lot of my applications would not run, as they gave me a message stating they required OS X 10.7 to operate now.

So if you're in the same situation, do a clean install and manually copy across your data from your backup.

12. macrumors regular

macmikey2

I just did this yesterday. Tired of Lion messing up. I get the beta thing, just don't want to deal.

I have a 1TB drive so I just re-partitioned the drive while running and then installed SL into new, clean partition. Did the complete restore/install from the original disks that came with MBP.

Next, I did the Software Update thing then ran migration assistant making sure to NOT move Machine and Applications.

Restarted and then drag copied over the apps I wanted, settings that were missed and did new installs of everything else.

All told about a day (10-12 hours) and I am now SL and Lion on one drive in my MBP.

Worth it to do a clean install and not carry anything back. Move them later.

Mikey

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys really appreciate the help
    I'm gonna do a clean install and drap all
    My data back