Downgrading to iTunes 6 from 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by latergator116, Oct 14, 2006.

1. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I've been having a problem ever since I installed itunes 7 where it unexpexdetly quits almost every time I try to play a song (guess I shouldn't assume new versions of apple software have less bugs:rolleyes: ).... so anyway, I downloaded itunes 6 from oldapps.com, but when I open up the package and get to the install window it says I can't continue becasue there is nothing to install. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. VictorM Guest

You have to delete the receipts file for version 7, or else it will think you already have the latest version and refuse to install the older one. I essentially followed these steps here and it worked well for me:

http://macslash.org/comments.pl?sid=6335&op=&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=nested&cid=112819

3. mannix87 macrumors 6502

i've refused to upgrade (if you can call it that) to iTunes7 until Apple sorts out the bugs, w/c appear to be too many for comfort. :(

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

just follow the steps i wrote on this thread, i had to downgrade initially because of sound issues. I think the instructions are around the 5th or 6th post in the thread.

EDIT: Stupidly just realized those are instructions for windows. I assume it would work just a little differently but maybe check with someone else (obviously folder names will be different like "my music" ...)

5. latergator116 thread starter macrumors 68000

latergator116

thanks a lot everyone! I followed the instructions and it seems to be working so far.