Downgrading to Jaguar from Tiger-Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by applefan1997, Dec 16, 2006.

1. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2005
    Koreatown, Los Angeles, California
    My G3 (B&W) Has Mac OS X 10.4.7, and though it runs great, there are some parts where it starts to show its age. I have a copy of Jaguar, but I was wondering if it would be too much of a risk to delete Tiger and replace it with Jaguar.
    My computer has:
    450MHz G3
    256MB RAM
    9GB HD
    16MB VRAM

I use it for:
    iPod Syncing (60GB Photo)

I will update it to 10.2.8, so that the aforementioned programs will function, but are there any reliability issues that can happen, such as unexpected crashing, etc....?
  2. Kodex macrumors member

Jan 30, 2003
    iTunes will not be able to run in version 7. This could cause some issues although im not sure which ones because I have never done it. Other then that do an achieve and install to maintain your system settings.
  3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Jan 20, 2003
    Either it's time for a new computer or you need to install more ram. 256MB isn't enough. If you have more ram tiger would run fine. Of course 10.2 may run the same speed as 10.4 if not slower (possibly). Someone else may have a better answer than me.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You will solve few problems by downgrading your OS. It is immediately obvious that you have two problems, the solutions of which will cost money.

Problem No. 1: 256 MB RAM
    Reason: Your computer must prematurely hit virtual memory.
    Solution: 1 GB RAM (OK, at least 512 MB RAM)

Problem No. 2: 9 GB HD
    Reason: You need at least 10% free HD capacity for the efficient operation of virtual memory.
    Solution: Replace your hard drive with a 80-160 GB unit.
  5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    Agreed ! mAxDaRam to 1GB, and get a larger, faster HD and tiger will be way better on that machine :) Been there, done that!
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Disabling Dashboard and perhaps Spotlight even will also significantly reduce the overhead of Tiger... but if I were to downgrade, I'd go to Panther and not Jag... personally.

Also, wait, are you serious? You're syncing a 60GB iPod on a computer with a 9GB HD???? :eek:
  7. kwood macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2006
    In the Great White North.
    Do NOT do an archive and install. That is very bad news:

8. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    Absolutely don't downgrade. That machine is a great performer with Tiger, it just needs some RAM. Check inside and see what you have, and then pick up the least expensive upgrade to get you up to at least 512MB if not 1GB. Then, you'll want to pick up a faster cheap 7,200RPM drive which you should be able to find relatively inexpensively. After that you'll be flyin'! (well, relatively speaking ;))
  9. macg4 macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Des Moines,Iowa
    yeah up the ram and the hd and all will be well. i have 1gig or ram and a 7200rpm 120 gig hd in my b/w
  10. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    Back at my parents' place, we have a 500Mhz G3 imac. We had Jaguar on it for about two years or so, with 576MB of RAM and a 40 gig hard drive. It ran pretty decently, but we definitely saw improvements in performance when we switched to Tiger. And it could've been partly because of the refresh it got in erasing the hard drive and all that. But i definitely remember the finder being snappier than it ever was on Jaguar, for example.