Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neptunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Malaysia
Hi! I'm a MacBook user. Recently I have a problem downloading files from the Internet. When I click on 'Download Now", the Downloads wondow will pop out and starts to download (sort of). But, just a few KB before stoping and says "Cannot create file". May I know what's the problem? What should I do? Please help me..... Thanks!:)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
In your browser preferences, check what folder is being used for downloads. Is it a folder you own (that is, a spot where you have permission to create files)?

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
Silly question but is it something that is Mac compatible? Also what connection speed is your internet connetion?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I know all the demis are going to rib me for this, but can you repair your permissions?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I've checked, and it says "Desktop".
Okay. If (just for now) you change it to your Documents or home folder, do downloads then work?
I know all the demis are going to rib me for this, but can you repair your permissions?
That's what we're working on. The Disk Utility thing will only repair system permissions, not user ones, though.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
That's what we're working on. The Disk Utility thing will only repair system permissions, not user ones, though.
Ah. In that case open the Terminal and paste in the following command:-

chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Ah. In that case open the Terminal and paste in the following command:-

chmod -R 755 ~/Desktop

That should be:

chmod 700 ~/Desktop

to get the normal Mac security setting. But we still want to see if the other folders work, because there could be more Stuff™ going on here.

Neptunian

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Malaysia
Solved.....

Hahahaha..... Silly me. I know it sounds silly, but i seems to find out the source to problem. Stupid me..... Actually the reason why it can't download files to the Desktop is because i've locked the Desktop (there's a button in "Get Info" where u can actually lock the Desktop from any changes). I've unlocked it and everything seems to be working great now. Hahahaha.... Sorry for all the trouble.I just realised bout this just now. Anyway, thanks for all the help...... :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
On the plus side, you can now rest assured that the lock option really does do something :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.