download from iPod to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ps56k, Oct 5, 2005.

1. ps56k macrumors member

ps56k

A friend gave us his old 20GB 4th gen iPod.
    He was going for more space.

Since this is our first encounter with the iPod,
    is there a way to download all the current music from the iPod into iTunes ?

Will it then be in the Apple format - or can we get it in the MP3 format ?
    Just curious about shuffling music from the iPod to my laptop and the file formats used...

What about our current mp3 music files and WMA music files from Windows ?
    How can we combine everything and then re-load to the iPod from iTunes
    and have all the files together....

2. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Hmm... What he's really trying to say is use search next time ;)

But here's Senuti! http://wbyoung.ambitiouslemon.com/senuti/ Should do the job nicely. They would be in the same format as what was on the Poddy.

4. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

My guess is that the member is running Windoze, so I would go to iLounge.com and the software section. There is a link to iPod Agent for PC. It's only a 30 day trial, but you will only be transferring music from your iPod to laptop once right, then you can format and start from scratch.

I would however point out that this is illegal and I will not encourage anybody to do this. Just buy the CDs, or use the ones you currently own.

5. ps56k thread starter macrumors member

ps56k

I'm used to our Creative (disk) Nomad and Sandisk (flash) MP3 players that basically copy the files back and forth to the computer - either as a disk drive or via the software. I'll have to download the iTunes software and just see what we can do, and what we can't.

6. damgpro macrumors member

If you are running windows you can use ephpod, its nice and pretty easy to use.

7. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

If you have WMA files that are UNPROTECTED (that means that the files were not downloaded from a music store like MSN Music or Napster 2.0, or the music was not transfered from Sony's new copy protected CDs) you can import them into iTunes. iTunes will automatically convert the WMAs to MP3 or AAC, depending on what you specified (it seems you want MP3 - in iTunes 5, Edit>Preferences>Advanced>Importing>Import Using: MP3 Encoder).

8. Labi macrumors regular

First of all thank you ps56k for posting your Q and secondly thanks to everyone that replied (including Ashapalan, humour is always appreciated)especially damgpro for revealing the ephpod to the rest of us. This is totally awsome. It outruns iTunes in every aspect. I know it has a bit of a legal issue, but hey, there's a little pirate in everyone of us isn't there? Life is good :)

9. ps56k thread starter macrumors member

ps56k

thanks for pointing me to the iLounge.com site and a couple of the reverse transfer programs. I have the iPod running, and have some music downloaded to it and will get the reverse programs later to try out....