Download images from card/delete/eject?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nycxaro, Jul 4, 2007.

1. nycxaro macrumors newbie

Is there any way to automate the following by only plugging in the card?

1. download images shot in raw to a specified folder
    2. delete the images from the card
    3. eject the card

2. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

No clue on the automation thing, but I format cards in-camera. Some people say doing otherwise is horrible, I just don't see the point. I keep the data on the cards that way until I need the card again, which could be useful, if you accidentilly delete or lose photos before you can copy them to multiple places for safekeeping.

3. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

4. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

Don't worry about deleting images on the card, just use the camera to re-format them every time you empty your card, as for the automation thing, I don't know how this would be done, but when you find out let me know it could be very useful

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

the latest version of bridge has a "get photos from camera" function that automatically pops up when you attach your card to the computer. other software can do this too, i just can't remember which (can't keep up with them all!)

6. nycxaro thread starter macrumors newbie

Image Capture

I have been using Image Capture to automatically download the files from the card and delete the images from the card. I understand that formatting in the camera is better, but I have not had any problems so far. I guess I am the type to change when something bad happens... perhaps I should change that.

What I really hoped for was to find a way to eject the card as soon as the images are finished downloading. I fooled around with automator, but I see no option to eject the card when the download is complete. Anyone else have any ideas?

7. jburns macrumors regular

I have been shooting digital since a 16MB card was a big one. I have never formated a card. I just delete. At one point I was seeing how many cameras I could have using the same card. I got up to 5 before I lost interest. Each camera made its own directory and there was never any problem using the card in any of the cameras.

YMMV but until I have at least one problem I don't see the need to reformat every time I download images.

8. bocomo macrumors 6502

that's just asking for trouble. is it that big of a deal to hit a couple of buttons on your camera to reformat? i just hate to think of you losing a bunch of important images my friend

9. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I had a SmartMedia card that got wonky every once in a while doing the old "copy and delete" method. I started formatting it in-camera every data dump or so and never had that problem again.

10. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

I always re-format my card "in camera" after transferring the files to my Mac.

11. jburns macrumors regular

No, but I don't reformat my hard drive every week. I doubt the rate of problems are any different whether you format every time or just delete.