Download Manager

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Rajj, May 30, 2002.

1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

My TIbook will not download anything from Apple's Web site or version tracker or anywhere!!!

Can anyone help me!!!

E-mail me @ xrhajj@msn.com

2. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Reinstall it if you have a compressed file. Or: If you still have the System Software CD, it might have a browser that you can install off of it. The browser probably wont be current, but you should be able to download an update.

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

so what does happen when you try to download. What is happening is just as important if not more so than what is not happening.

4. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Isn't Download Manager exclusive to Internet Explorer? (I've never used anything else except occasionally Nutscrape, so I have no idea. :D )

6. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I use OmniWeb, but now that I look at it, its manager is called "Downloads" so I guess you're right. :D

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I just blame ie.... :p

Seriously though, what do you mean "it won't download anything"? Is this the trailers, s/w updates... what? Does it only happen on the apple web site, or with other sites too?

8. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I can download music off of limewire, but I can't download any data files off of Apple's site

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Limewire is in no way related to downloads with ie. It's a completely separate program. What i meant was, can you download files from other web sites? Have you tried using a different browser?

10. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I have tried netscape and mozilla also, still no luck!!1

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

You need to give us some more details. What happens when you try to download a file? Is it possible that you're storing the files somewhere other than your desktop and you're just not realizing that they've been downloaded?

12. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

I did not change any settings for my downloads.

When I click on the file to download, the bar (at bottom of the screen)moves, and usually I see the download manager pop up and volia! but nothing happends anymore.

When I use Mozilla or netscape to download, a window pops up and says: your request has been sent to speed downloads, but I don't have speed downloads!!!

I can only download items using stuffit expander.

Is there a way to change all download files to stuffit expander?

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

What about if you right-click on the link and select 'download link to disk'? Have you tried that?

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Control click for those with single button mice, or trackpads.

Which OS (9 or X?) is this issue happening in? If 9, then go to the preferences folder, to the explorer one toss the download cache file, as well as anything within the temporary files folder. OS 9's version of ie also has a folder within the folder labeled "Microsoft Internet Self-Repair" run that.

If the problem still continues, then you probably did download something that has f*cked your settings (probably from the nba web site :p ). IF you DON'T have any antivirus protection, then you very well could have caught one (which is your own damned fault).

15. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Thanx

Thanx brit boy, I didn't think of that!!! it worked!!

And as for Alpha tech..... Thanx for you 2 cents, but NBA.com had nothing to do with it!!!:p :D