Download: Moral Dilemma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MultiM, Sep 17, 2006.

1. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

So I'm tired of all of my music and the local radio stations. Nothing new and I've heard it all before hundreds of times and I'm BORED. I understand that it is possible to download and record streaming radio from the 'net by purchasing special software to accomplish this. I have found several radio stations that have music I have NEVER heard before and I can't get enough.

So my question: Is it immoral or illegal to download this freely available music for my personal use?

2. calculus Guest

calculus

Well, for me, morality is a personal thing so as far as that goes it's your call.

Is it legal - no.

Wiretap is your friend.

3. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

NO!, just do it. The radio stations probably get some revenue from it anyways. Its no such a big deal, doesn't iTunes even have a built in radio feature thing. Thats not illegal.
    maybe i am missing the point a bit, if i am, ignore me. :p

4. MultiM thread starter macrumors 6502

MultiM

iTunes radio is actually what I'm currenly listening to so I can't disagree with you. I'm concerned about the artists receiving their due...

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

If all you want is just to listen to the radios and not actually downloading the music I would definately go the iTunes radio way. But it wouldn't be legal if you 'download' from it. As long as you're just using it to listen to the music that is currently on the radio then there's nothing wrong with that.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

as long as you are keeping it on your computer, and NOT re-distributing it, or attempting to use it for personal ($$) gain, ie: personal use, then no, there is nothing wrong with d/ling it......legally or morally

And YES, the Artists get their royalties every time their music is played anywhere on any radio station, 'net based or otherwise......