download problems..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hupalmer, Sep 29, 2005.

1. hupalmer macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2005
    Hi there,
    has anyone else come across this type of behaviour that has been mystifying me recently? I try to download a piece of software from the net, largeish, like 69MB... and the download indicator charges off at a high rate of KB per sec, calculates 25 mins or so, gets stuck at 250KB, carries on calculating at an ever decreasing rate, until it gets to something like "19 hours 25 mins" at a download rate of about 2 KB per second, and never gets beyond downloading the first 250 KB so of the file..
    Never came across this in earlier OSX versions, mbefore I upgraded to the most recent version of Tiger.
    I have a recent iBook and 14 GB or so free space on my hard drive..

Any suggestions would be gratefully received..

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Are you downloading it from a single server? Some servers have caps whereby they give you full speed for the first x minutes/bytes and then reduce the speed accordingly from there.

Can I ask what the file was, or more relevantly, where you were downloading it from?
  3. hupalmer thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2005
    well, it was a big file admittedly, 69 MB, and it was from a single server. I managed to get there in the end by stopping the download process and starting it again, I guess when the traffic was lighter, because it completed at a fair rate the 3rd time around. At least it wasn't anything to do with my iBook.
    Thanks for the help