Download Question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by River Hill, Oct 13, 2005.

1. River Hill macrumors newbie

I am a first time user of iTunes and I just downloaded the software today, I have a couple quick questions before I get started. I noticed the iTunes software is resident on my C: drive and I was wondering where the music will be stored that I download. Will the music be stored on my C: drive on will it be stored on a iTunes drive? Also I have never visited a iTunes store, but can I have access to my library from other locations besides my home? I guess if I can, then the music is stored on a iTunes drive. Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The music will be downloaded onto your hard drive so unless you manually put it on a server connected to the internet, you can only really access it from that computer and other computers on the same network.

By default, it will save in a folder within your My Music folder (C drive) however you can chose a different location from the iTunes Preferences (under the Advanced tab). Let iTunes keep your music folder organised (a tick box, it should be checked by default) and don't move/rename anything within your iTunes folder. Do all your naming (or tagging) from within iTunes. :)

3. River Hill thread starter macrumors newbie

Another dumb question then. What is the best way to keep you music backuped? I had a very bad experience and lost alot of data on my last computer and don't want this to happen with songs I purchase.

Also since I already downloaded the ITunes, but I used there default selections saying I would manage the music, would it be best to uninstall iTunes and reinstall it and select the box that will let iTunes manage my music or is there a place I can go into a check it now? Also they gave me a few free songs in a library will they be mangaged if there is a checkbox?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Don't bother uninstalling it. Go back into the preferences, select Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised and it should copy everything across to the default location. After this, you can go back to and delete the originals if you like. Just don't touch the folder(s) that iTunes controls. Of course, you don't have to let iTunes manage everything but I highly recommend you do. If it doesn't copy everything across, select Consolidate Library from the Advanced menu.

As for back up, I am lucky enough to have more than one computer so I just keep a copy of my library on both. Other ways you can back up your library are to use an iPod, an external drive, CDs or DVDs etc. Back it up just as you would with any other data type.

5. River Hill thread starter macrumors newbie