download troubleshooting

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lucface, Mar 4, 2005.

1. lucface macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2005
    im trying to figure out why my downloads wont work from some places and will from others.
    just recently started happening.
    ftp works fine and im pretty sure its me not them. one thing that may contribute:
    i used speeddownload 2 for a week. it was getting anoying (trial vision) so i through it and all its folders away by doing a finder search then trash then empty. i use fire fox. is there like a cache or cookies or somthing to clear?
    i am having the same problems with Safari, as well.

ive been told to completely uninstall speed download. since ive thrown it all out and deleted it. what could i do now to make sure its all gone? re-install it and uninstall it more thoroughly? or is the a better or easier way?
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Maybe just uninstall Firefox and install it again fresh. Seems like it's worth a try, although, since Safari is having problems too, it would appear there's something going on at a lower level.
  3. lucface thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2005
    you know what? i just realized/rememberd, i dont get files through msn instant messanger. but i can with aol instant messanger. does that narow it down?...
  4. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Speed download will screw things up if you don't uninstall it correctly. I believe if you run the installer it give an option to remove Speed Download. I'm not 100% sure on this, and since you've manualy gone in and deleted things it may not even work, but it's worth a shot.

Also, if you do get an error or something trying to remove it from the installer, you could always try reinstalling it, then uninstalling it.