download youtube movies?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by plunar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i need to embed a movie from youtube in a keynote presentation. is there anyway to save a youtube movie file to disk?

or, barring that, does anyone know where i can download the "magic pixie dust" commercial ibm had out a few years back?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

3. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

You can just go to the activity window of Safari, find the movie file in that (it will probably have 'get_video' in the URL, and be the biggest file), double click it and it'll download. You'll probably want to convert it from the .flv file it downloads (which will be called 'get_video') using something like iSquint.

4. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

keepvid.com is the site I use for all those embedded videos. You still need a convert of course for the .flv component.

5. diametric macrumors regular

diametric

I second podtube. Downloads then converts to .mp4.

People really should know about it, I'm surprised by the amont of times I see a thread like this.

6. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

I use keepvid.com then convert the .flv file using iSquint for my ipod.

They are both free utilities, and are both easy to use! Does the job for me! :)

Have Fun!

7. bentley macrumors 6502

pirated software and illegally downloaded music is shunned on this forum. Why is this any different?

8. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

It's hardly the same thing IMHO, YouTube vids are freely available - that's the point of it. You may as well say we shouldn't even refer to the site at all. Saving a local copy of a file that's already freely available is, to me, self-evidently different from illegally downloading music or software that you are supposed to pay for.

I guess it comes down to: "are you ripping someone off?". With pirated music or software you are. I don't think the same is true of YouTube, unless you're talking about downloading stuff that shouldn't be on YouTube in the first place, but that's an entirely different discussion.

9. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

If they wanted it to be also freely available to download then they would have a download button right next to play. Just because its free to view does not mean it is free to copy. By those standards the movie I got to see for free a couple weeks ago because I dropped my business card ina bucket and got drawn, I should have been allowed to bring my camcorder in and make a copy of it because I want to watch it later with out having coming back to the theatre. (whew run on sentance but to lazy to fix). If they did want it to be downloaded though they would have it on there. It is along the lines of the same thing and that is not accepted on these forums, nor should it be.

Kevin

10. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

11. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

Your analogy doesn't work though - the movie, which, ordinarily, you would have paid admission to see (come on, bringing a freebie movie viewing into it is not a normal situation is it?), is played once on a cinema screen, enters your eyes and ears and then is over. YouTube vids are accessible as many times as you like, for no money and have already been downloaded onto your computer (either RAM or HD cache). If you never turned your computer off and kept that browser window open, you'd have permanent access to the clip, even if YouTube ceased to exist. All you're doing is saving yourself the hassle of downloading it again. So I just don't think it's the same thing at all as copying paid-for content. If you're talking about distributing the videos afterwards, or they are infringing videos to start with that is another issue, but the initial poster of this thread, for example, is asking for a commercial ad, not a pirated movie or pirated music track. Hardly the same thing at all.

If the forum mods/owners say otherwise, fine, I just don't think the two things are the same.