Downloadable MP3s through web app

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by DDolan, Jul 12, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2010
    I've been asked by a band to create a web app (which I've done) which they can use to make some of their tracks available to download for free by people at their gigs - the problem is the download part. Obviously iPhone etc. doesn't allow you to download tracks through Safari so I need a quick and simple alternative asap. Any ideas how I could do it?
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2010
    To the users phone ideally
  4. macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2010
    iOS apps exist in a sand-box. They cannot download files to just anywhere. For example, you wouldn't be able to have your app download the mp3's and have them "installed" in the iPod/Music app on the iOS device.

I think the closest you might get would be to downloaded them into your app and have a player in your app. If the music is on iTunes, I think you could link from your app to the tracks in the iTunes app.
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2011
    While we're on the subject of downloading MP3s, is there a way to download MP3s from a website using Safari? I have the URL, but Safari only opens the files and plays them, it doesn't let me download.

Obviously, I could right-click the link and say "Download Linked File As" but this is not from a webpage, it's just from a text file. Some source code, if you must know.

The point is, how do I download a media file without playing it? I used to just paste into the Downloads window, but that's gone now.
  6. holmesf, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Sep 30, 2001
    I don't know about Safari, but you can always open the terminal and type:
    cd ~/downloads; curl -o song.mp3