Downloaded mp3 problems -> save as source ?s

Discussion in 'iPod' started by VoodooDaddy, Sep 15, 2006.

1. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I was downloading some mp3s from a site that first had to buffer them in quicktime. Then I selected save as source and it saved as filename.mp3.

I imported these into iTunes and I cannot change the info on any of them. Under info on each track it says its a quicktime movie file instead of an mpeg audio file. I noticed the icons are different from my other mp3 icons (has a Q on the icon) and I cant convert to mp3 in iTunes.

Basically I want to be able to change the file names but since they are showing as quicktime files I think thats why I cant.

My main question is why when I hit "save as source" and it says its saving as filename.mp3 it saves as a quicktime file?

2. VoodooDaddy thread starter macrumors 65816

well nevermind. The convert to mp3 is now working in iTunes. I swear it wasnt working before. After converting to mp3s I can change song info. Thanks for the help. :D

3. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Good question! I ran into this problem a few weeks ago and tried to do some digging to figure out what was going on.

First, a solution: if you clicked on a link to get to the file in Safari, just option-click the link and it'll download as plain old MP3. The MP3 version worked fine for me.

What I found was that the save-as-source downloaded MOV version had its file type and creator attributes set to "MooV" and "TVOD" (QuickTime Movie and QuickTime Player), respectively. The option-click downloaded MP3 version had no file type and creator attributes.

Therefore an alternate solution, if the web page was somehow setup that it wasn't a simple link to the MP3 file, is to remove the type and creator codes from the downloaded file. There are tons of utilities out there to do this (search macupdate.com or versiontracker.com).

Personally I think this is a bug in iTunes. iTunes should recognize the file as a simple MP3, regardless of the type and creator attributes, and treat it exactly as such.

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Assuming it's the same problem I had, you're better off just stripping the type and creator attributes from the original file. Converting to MP3 will re-encode the already encoded file, resulting in a further loss in sound quality.