Downloading and installing new apps - a dumb question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mwatch, Apr 22, 2005.

1. mwatch macrumors newbie

A really dumb question after my first program download on my new PBook. I downloaded Comic Life, a program on the Apple site to play with. I dragged the file to my applications folder as stated. It left me with what looks like the picture of a CD drive with Comic Life written underneath on my desktop. I also have a file named comiclife.dmg on the desktop. Do I need to leave both files there? It seems like the desktop will get really cluttered if you have to leave all of these misc. files on it. :confused:

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

DMG is a disc image. double click the image and a window will open up. it has another name under your hard drive in that upper section of Finder. Click on it so you are in that folder area. you then should see an icon for running that app. copy THAT file over, not the DMG or any other files. just the one that actually has the application icon. It's usually pretty easy to tell which one is which.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Drag the app from the Volume called Comic Life to the Apps folder. Once the program is in the Apps folder, (1) unmount the Volume by dragging it to the trach can, (2) delete the .dmg.

Edit: too slow.

4. mwatch thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank-You. :) I am liking my Mac more and more everyday. Can't wait until the new PMacs come out. I think there is one with my name on it.