downloading and saving attachments from safari

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by shweta13, Sep 24, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I want to download and store an attachment opened through safari on my iphone. can I do it? If not is there any other way to download and save attachments on iphone?

2. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You mean from within an application you are writing? This forum is for questions regarding writing software for the iPhone...

3. thread starter macrumors member

Yes,
    I am opening safari thru my application...and I wish to download the attachment given on a particular URL and save it on my iphone...can i do it?

4. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. You will have to use the correct APIs to do it yourself. I'd suggest some reading. In particular you will want to use the NSURLConnection class.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I know about NSURLConnection..The thing is...I had read it somewhere that we cannot save the downloaded applications on iPhone...that is the reason I was asking...anyways thanks for the help

6. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You didn't say anything about applications. No you cannot download and run code (applications) directly or via Safari.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Does the same apply for the normal attachments also, such as documents,images etc?

8. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can download them if you want. You can only write directly to your own application sandbox so they will only be available to your own application.

9. macrumors 603

If the URL works, you can download and save most anything from an app. You can not run any applications however, downloaded or otherwise, except for maybe ones in plain javascript. Any applications you download will be stuck, unrunnable, inside a sandbox.