Downloading App's confusion...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppe, Nov 23, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Sorry new to Mac's and I'm just a little confused...

I keep trying to download programs for my computer or icons for my computer and for awhile everything was going peachy, but now all of sudden I keep downloading the applications and it keeps opening in word. For some reason the apps don't show up as dmg, but as .sit.

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are the files actually .sit's or .dmg's that are somehow becoming .sit's? Some older software gets distributed in Stuffit file formats such as .sit. You probably need Stuffit Expander.

3. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

.sit are 'Stuffit Expander' files.

Try finding that and dragging the files over it. Also, while you're there, get info (Apple + I) and change the program .sit open with; select 'Change All' to use Stuffit Expander.

4. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

It always asks me when downloading it if I want it to open in the Stuffit Expander. That comes stock in OS X right?

I'm not sure if they are .dmg starting, all i know is when they hit my desktop under my finder they show a word icon and say .sit

5. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

10.4 does not come with stuffit expander, and the files are almost certainly not .dmg when they start. There's no reason why they would magically change types.

6. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Ok is stuffit expander free?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Stuffit Expander is not standard in OS X. It was part of the pre-installed software on Macs up through Panther but got dropped from the list around the time Tiger came out. So you may not have it (i.e. go out and get it; it *is* free).

It is *not* required to open disk images. If your disk image files are somehow becoming .sit files... that's something weirder. IF and only if installing Stuffit doesn't resolve your problems, try right clicking the file, going to open with, and seeing if DiskImageMounter is in the list. If it is not, they are probably not disk images. If it is and it isn't the default, then select the other option, then navigate to /system/library/coreservices and select it from that folder. Make sure you check the "always open with" before you click open. Then that should resolve the issue.

8. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh ok cool. Thank you. One last thing anyone else know of a program that can run your screen saver on the background?

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You're welcome. :) Tell us which thing solved your issue just to close the loop, in case someone forum searches this thread.

As for screen saver as desktop...

Option 1
    Option 2

10. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Thanks alot. Option 1 worked great. I'll let you know about if everything works. Might be a day or so though.

11. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Everything is working great now!! thanks guys!