Downloading Facebook Videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mopje, Sep 19, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

How do I download a video someone has posted on Facebook?
    Thanks

2. macrumors 6502

hughvane

3. macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

in safari go to window then activity
    look for the largest file in the window that pops up
    double click it to save
    then use isquint (available for free online) to change it into a usable format

4. macrumors regular

For me it worked to just get the URL from the activity window, and just paste it into the safari downloads window. It downloaded it as a quicktime .mp4 video.

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors newbie

I got it t work by doing the following:

1. Load the web page with the Facebook video you want to download and click the play button.

2. In Safari, go to Window > Activity.

3. Look for the largest file in the listing (it usually ends in .mp4) and double click it. That should launch a new Safari window that shows just the video.

4. If you look at the URL in the new window, the URL should now end in .mp4. Now copy the entire URL.

5. In Safari, go to Window > Downloads.

6. With the Downloads window in focus, press cmd + V (paste), and the video should start downloading.

Happy downloading!

7. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The last post was nearly a year ago dog.

8. macrumors newbie

I did notice that, however, it was one of the top hits on Google when I searched for it so I thought I would let others know how in case they were in the same situation I was in. Just trying to help others dog.

9. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

In that case, good work.

10. macrumors 6502a

Can the same process be used for you tube?

11. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I've been using this process for a couple years now, on many site including YouTube. Get the Activity Window open and double click the largest file, Safari will begin downloading the video / audio.

12. macrumors newbie

video message

Ive been trying to download a video message i have sent... i went to the activity page but there was no mp4 and nothing at all with a size over 1mb... its very frustrating... any ideas?

thanks!

13. macrumors newbie

activity window doesnt say which file is largest

the activity window doesnt say which file is largest and wen i double click the video name in the window nothing happens..... can some1 please help! its rly important!!

14. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The video link should be displayed in that window. Look carefully, its easy to miss it. Before the video starts playing, make sure the Activity window is open. Press play on the video and then look for a link that shows "#KB of #MB" for example. That would indicate that the video is buffering. Double-Click that link and it should download.

Other than that, there are Plugins made for Firefox that will automatically download Facebook Videos for you:
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Facebook-Video.shtml

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors newbie

Listen, to who ever told this guy this post was like years old... ****, why let us ALL go digging for something that old when a very nice fellow has the instructions RIGHT HERE?!? :mad:

Sheez, and thanks for the instructions they worked like a charm! :)

17. macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well I'm the one who said it was old and the reason I did was because of this:
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070420014456930

It was created 3 years before d2LiL's post was made.

18. macrumors newbie

This doesn't work anymore either...I just tried saving a video and the .mp4 was in the middle of the link, so my guess is Facebook caught on to this and tried stopping it, has anyone got a way to get around it? I took a screenshot for you guys to get an idea...Also same problem with trying to save a video my friend posted/recorded on my wall. Any help??

Attached Files:

19. macrumors newbie

download facebook videos

It seems that i got the same issues as u, my common method to resolve this question is use some supporting softare to get things done, u can search some free application that can download facebook videos in the internet, it might get some help.:)

20. Burne Jones, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

macrumors newbie

I don’t care if it is an old post although the technology and programs are changing, there are still some excellent tips that we can use until now. The tip of Safari to download videos sounds charming. Personally I use online video recorder to record facebook video off net. Moreover, I can convert them to other formats if necessary.

21. macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

either way I needed help with that and it worked. Thanks

22. macrumors newbie

no need to paste into downloads bar

Once you have the Activity window selected, simply press the "option" key and double-click the video file's URL (usually the largest file). It will automatically download for you. Option-Doubleclicking saves a step.

23. macrumors newbie

Tried this and when i open activity it shows me the webpage not the file. when i click on it it simply brings the page up and there is no option to download.

I have also tried copying the URL and pasting it in DL's but when i open the file it is the FB page sans video.

24. macrumors newbie

Dunno

My safari doesn't have 'Activity' on it's 'window' :confused::confused: Hellppp meee

25. macrumors newbie

dunno

My safari doesn't have 'activity' and 'download' on it's 'window' :( Help meee!

Attached Files: