Downloading files from the internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark santangelo, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mark santangelo macrumors newbie

Hi

how can i download a link that a friend has sent me?

right on a pc i could right click and i could save as were on the mac i dont get this when i ctrl + click i get open or copy the links url.

the said file am having problems with is .mp3 files it just wants to open them and stream them in quicktime.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

control-click the link and select "Download linked file."

3. Lau Guest

Do you have an option that says "Download Link Target" when you right click? If you do, that's your man.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Your friend sent you this link via e-mail? Which e-mail program are you using?

Is the link he's sending you the actual MP3 or a stream of an MP3?

5. mark santangelo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i dont get that "Download Link Target"

i am using the mail that comes comes in the osx

6. mark santangelo thread starter macrumors newbie

sometimes highlighting the link and dragging and dropping it on the download pop box works but not this time

so i really am stuck

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Can you PM me the link?

8. mark santangelo thread starter macrumors newbie

one more thing

i was using speed download (trail version) which worked but the trail has ended and i have noticed in safari when i ctrl + click it says copy link or speed download

how can i get rid of the speed download as i have remove it from my system weeks ago

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Well, I just looked at the link and when I control-clicked it I was able to "Download Linked File" so I would say there's a problem at your end. Either Speed Download has altered your Safari preferences (in which case it's a simple matter of deleting them and reopening Safari) or better yet, do a spotlight search for Speed Download and delete anything that's left.

I would advise against using download managers, none of them are any good and they can actually stuff up a lot of stuff. Luckily it's a fairly easy fix.

10. mark santangelo thread starter macrumors newbie

arh right here is my problem

one of the files i cant delete as its saying its in use
    well i have got it to the trash but cant get it out of the trash

say its in use so cant empty the trash

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Quit everything, make sure Speed Download or anything like that isn't in your Login options (under accounts in System Preferences) and restart your Mac. Then, before you do anything, empty the trash.

12. mark santangelo thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah now i have got rid of it now
    now when i ctrl + click in safari all i get is "copy link" :( and in firefox it says bookmark this link or copy link location

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Create a new user account and try again from in there. If it's still there then there's something wrong with the system. If it's not then it's simply a case of migrating to a new account.

I don't know of anything that could cause such a problem but we may as well figure it out.