downloading in Safari... "continue"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by theblotted, Nov 22, 2006.

1. theblotted macrumors regular

theblotted

in Safari, when i download a file, near completetion it asks me whether i would like to continue downloading or not (because it's a program, etc.).

isn't it kind of pointless AFTER it's downloaded for so long, then it asks me?

i remember back in Jaguar or Panther, this feature wasn't there.. and rather pleasing. now, it's just annoying to have to click another button.

anyway to get rid of this?

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Check to see if under Preferences > General: "Open 'safe' files automatically" is checked. I don't have this problem so I am guessing that it may have something to do with automatically opening files. Turn this, and Auto-complete Forms off. Neither is a good idea. Best wishes.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this happens for certain files in addition to application files which contain executables, such as zip and disk images. It's there to protect you. I think the idea in principle is that it's examined after it's downloaded (how could it be examined before it's downloaded?). Then you're given an opportunity to get rid of it while it's still being held in "quarantine." So if you get surprised and find out it's an executable when you were expecting something different, you can hit cancel and the system will trash it.

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you are downloading a ZIP of images for example and the message pops up. You know not to continue as it contains an application that shouldnt be there i.e. a virus or something similar. Yes its not likely to affect your mac but you can pass it on to PC users so its best to cancel the download and OSX usually erases it for you automatically. Its a safety feature implemented in Tiger, I for one think its a good feature. It can be annoying when downloading alot of stuff but thats the price you pay for being protected a little bit more.

5. theblotted thread starter macrumors regular

theblotted

hi all, thanks for the replies.

that makes a lot of sense. i wish it was optional, that's all (i'm usually pretty anal when it comes to what i do and don't download, PRIOR to downloading).

i tried the "safe download" thing, but didn't work. i have it unchecked for now, info from Front Page.