Downloading mac games

Discussion in 'Games' started by JW8725, Jun 4, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Where can i download mac games from please? E.g. Doom III World of Warcraft. Thanks

2. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

There is no where you can legaly purchase and download games for the mac for major titles like the ones you named. Anything else is ilegal, and your not going to make much friends asking questions like this.

3. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

With all due respect i was talking about downloading the demos of the aforementioned games! Any ideas?

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

5. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

On behalf of the Mods (if I can do that without getting in trouble! ;)) please be more careful and specific when posting questions like this. Your initial requests did come across as if you were asking where to download the games themselves, which is of course illegal. As a result, you could be at risk of being banned from MacRumors for posting such content.

Just some advice for ya. :cool:

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In addition, one of the publishers (Feral?) has a service where you can buy and download.

8. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Listen if i was going to download illegal games I WOULDNT have asked in a public forum! Plus its obvious where to get illegal copies from. The Mods have already spoken I dont see why u did?

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Theres quite a lot of free games availble for download, Marathon for one.

As long as you don't mind playing 4-5 year old games theirs a good selection.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just trying to reinforce things, that's all, I wasn't sure if you were aware of the policies on MR and if the Mods contacted your personally or something along those lines to properly explain - my apologies, no harm meant. :)

11. Ringu macrumors member

Got any links? (got marathon, but any good, legit, free, 4-5 year old games would be welcome) :)

12. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Here you go. ;)
    http://mac.the-underdogs.org/

13. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

I would just like to point out that Abandonware software is no more legal to download than current titles. They are still covered by copyright laws.

14. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

15. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

none of the links work anyways! wtf is up with that?! i click download here and it goes to the url not found page!!!!!!

16. G5Zealot macrumors newbie

Get demos and some freeware full versions at http://www.filecloud.com. You need to creatw a free account to download. Enjoy! :)

17. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

Well, as I pointed out, abandonware is just as illegal as downloading any unpaid for software. There has been a bit of a crackdown on Abandonware sites of late so its possible they have been told to take it down. OR - they just busted their links. But I can't possibly see how it is okay to say "Don't download commercial games" in a thread, but its okay to condone this?

18. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

The only way it would be remotely acceptable is if you have previously owned the game

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The old Marathon games and Tribes 1 and 2 and GTA 2 and some of those old games have been made freely downloadable by the publishers, the copyright holders. Those are what we're talking about, nothing illegal. Heck, FilePlanet has them up for download!

20. Foniks Munkee macrumors member

You know, not one of those games were explicitly mentioned, and following the first link provided I could see a number of games that are still covered by copyright.

Those games you mentioned have been made available by the publishers and owners of the copyright and are not technically Abandonware.

The reason that this is an issue is that many publishers have realised that there is money to be made on their old licenses and have thus started their own official "Abandonware" sites.

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Marathon was mentioned, so I assume those were the types of games being talked about, sorry.