Downloading problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by manni2000, Nov 23, 2006.

1. manni2000 macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2006
    Hi Guys,

I am new to the mac and I have been having some problems downloading.

My mac tells me I need to update my MSN messenger to use it, so I follow the links and it tells me that it "cannot create file" ???? Can anyone help.

I have also tried to download Outlook for mac and it says the same thing...

Thank You
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    You have to provide more details... what kind of Mac is this? What OS version is it running? What web browser? And are you actually having trouble downloading them or trouble using them after download?

If you are using OS X:

Mac Outlook is not really intended for Macs running any version of OS X. You should be using Entourage. If you are downloading the latest MSN Messenger, 6.0.1, then it comes in a disk image file and you should have no trouble downloading it or running it, as no special software is required for this. Although you may wish to try Adium or Proteus as better messaging solutions to use with MSN (or aMSN or Mercury Msngr if you want to do webcam).

If you are using MacOS 8 / 9:

Outlook will work but MSN Messenger will not (requires OS X) unless you find a really old version of it. But I don't know too much about getting Outlook running on an OS 8/9 computer, so I can't really help with that. :eek:
  3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    Use Adium instead of MSN Messenger.