Downloading rental to ATV3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by KoukiFC3S, Apr 18, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

I just rented a movie, but I do not see an option to download the movie before playing it.

Is streaming the only option? My internet is pretty slow, so I would rather download it first.

Thank you.

2. macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Rent it and "hit menu to watch at a later time" it will continue to download in the background. I just rented a movie last weekend and did that since we weren't ready to watch just yet.

It said it was ready to watch, so you might have to let it download to a point where it thinks you can watch while it streams the rest before that message appears. It only took a few seconds for the message to appear but my fiber is 45/45.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. It's been a few days, so the movie should be downloaded by now.

4. macrumors member

Or expired :p

5. macrumors member

DoctorWho

Not if he hasn't started watching it.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha I sure hope not.

I just found out that the ATV has 8GB of onboard storage.

It's weird how it doesn't show the download %, but I guess that's Apple for you.

7. macrumors newbie

Both the ATV2 & 3 are steaming only. Even though they both have 8gb of onboard storage it is just for temporary storage of the streaming material.

8. macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

So it temporarily stores streaming material? Same difference.

9. macrumors 6502a

class77

You could always download it to your computer and then stream it from there to your Apple TV. If you download a rental from the Apple TV, you can only play it on that Apple TV. If you download it to a computer, you can play it on that computer or any other shared network connection(i.e. another Apple TV or another computer).