Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I just rented a movie, but I do not see an option to download the movie before playing it.

Is streaming the only option? My internet is pretty slow, so I would rather download it first.

Thank you.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I just rented a movie, but I do not see an option to download the movie before playing it.

Is streaming the only option? My internet is pretty slow, so I would rather download it first.

Thank you.

Rent it and "hit menu to watch at a later time" it will continue to download in the background. I just rented a movie last weekend and did that since we weren't ready to watch just yet.

It said it was ready to watch, so you might have to let it download to a point where it thinks you can watch while it streams the rest before that message appears. It only took a few seconds for the message to appear but my fiber is 45/45.

KoukiFC3S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Haha I sure hope not.

I just found out that the ATV has 8GB of onboard storage.

It's weird how it doesn't show the download %, but I guess that's Apple for you.

mawool01

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Both the ATV2 & 3 are steaming only. Even though they both have 8gb of onboard storage it is just for temporary storage of the streaming material.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Both the ATV2 & 3 are steaming only. Even though they both have 8gb of onboard storage it is just for temporary storage of the streaming material.

So it temporarily stores streaming material? Same difference.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
You could always download it to your computer and then stream it from there to your Apple TV. If you download a rental from the Apple TV, you can only play it on that Apple TV. If you download it to a computer, you can play it on that computer or any other shared network connection(i.e. another Apple TV or another computer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.