Downloading updates after OS X reinstall

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Axegrinder, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

A few days ago I did a clean install of OS X on my Intel iMac (because of a problem with EyeTV but thats another story). I've had it about two months now and its the first time I've done a reinstall.

Now I'm faced with downloading all the updates again for Garageband, iPhoto, etc and also the big update to 10.4.7. My question is, do I need to download all these updates again or does the 10.4.7 update include the other updates for the iLife applications, etc and does it matter which order they are downloaded in?

Also, do the updates get saved anywhere so you can burn them to disc in case you need to do it all again in the future?

Thanks

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just run Software Update from the Apple menu and you should be fine. Of course, it won't update third party apps though. You can select to Install And Keep Package from the Update menu of Software Update too, which will save you re-downloading them in future. :)

Of course, reinstalling the OS isn't usually the best way of fixing quirks with OSX.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

The iLife updates, etc., are not included in the OS 10.4.7 update (although security updates are).

The order does matter, but Software Update won't give you updates in the wrong order. Run Software Update and install what you need from there. Anything that appears in the list Software Update provides is something you can install, but after you've installed certain items and run software update again new things may appear that depended on previous things you've installed.

You can download what's called a "stand-alone" installer (i.e., a .dmg file) from here

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

These will allow you to keep a copy of the installer on your backup HD or wherever. For OS updates, you'll want to get the combo installer, which will take you from, say, any earlier version of 10.4 to the latest at that time, in this case 10.4.7. When 10.4.8 comes out a new combo installer will be posted to that site (usually a little while after the update appears in Software Update).

4. Axegrinder thread starter macrumors regular

Axegrinder

So if the iLife updates are not included, should I put them on before installing 10.4.7? Would installing them after cause newer files to be overwritten by older files or is my mindset still stuck in Windows land? :)

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It shouldn't matter, but seriously just run the automatic Software Updater and you'll be fine. :)