Downloading videos from YouTube to desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by foz405, Dec 11, 2006.

1. foz405 macrumors member

foz405

Can I download a video from Youtube to my desktop ? I've tried using Firefox, TOOLS>PAGE>INFO>MEDIA, finding the file type EMBED, clicking this and save as xxxx on the desktop.

Nothing happens. Yet I can remember doing something like this on another site. Anyone help please ?
    :confused:

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Go here, and drag the link on that page to your bookmarks. Click it when you're on the youtube page you want to save. You'll need to rename get_video to somethingorother.flv after you save.

3. frenetic macrumors regular

4. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

there is a plug-in i use for firefox. it is called 'video downloader' i think. it just puts a little icon on the bottom of the window.

go to the youtube page, just click the button and it will save the video.

however, once you do that, you must click on the file it creates and rename it.
    the default will be 'get_video' --- after it saves, you must rename it to whatever.flv

to view the file, you must get an .FLV viewer, or use iSquint to change the format to an MPEG and view it in QT, VLC, etc

much easier than PodTube or TubeSock, AND ITS FREE

6. foz405 thread starter macrumors member

foz405

Thanks

Just tried it ... Used the FLV Grabba recommended in another reply and then converted via iSquint as you recommended. Perfection.:)