Downloading videos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Applexilef, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Applexilef macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2004
    Ok, here's the problem. I've stumbled into a couple of pages where you have to copy the link into the address bar and press enter. This makes the video stream directly from the source. Now, is there any way I can save the video?

For example, look at this page. I want to download the video that the kid links to. How can I do it? It's not letting me "right click and save as.."
  2. decksnap macrumors 68040

Apr 11, 2003
    I don't understand- worked fine for me. I had to click on the 'Monster Turbo' link first, then do the control click on the 'save as' link on that page. Is that what you are talking about?
  3. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2004
    No, when you click on my link it'll take you to the monster turbo page.

Then there's a kid that says:
    " Buick with a monster turbo on the dyno save as.. ( "

My problem is that the web link just shows up as text and doesn't let me right-click and save as. So what I do is just copy the link and paste it onto the address bar. This makes the video stream from the page, but I can't save it on the computer.

How can I save it on my computer?
    I hope this was a bit more clear on the situation. Thanks!
  4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    I've got an idea, but it should only be a last ditch effort. DELETE MEDIA PLAYER!!! I know it sounds extreme, but it's the only thing that keeps you from downloading the stream. If you delete it, then it will download instead of stream. Then you can use VLC or reinstall media player to play the file.
  5. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2004
    Hmmm, I can see that would work. But that's not the only video that I want to get. There's a whole ton of videos in automotive forums that I'd like to get. Good tip though.

Also, what's VLC?

Is there anyone else with an idea?
  6. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Worked fine for me control-clicking with Firefox. I have Windows Media Player installed and everything.

Edit: oops. Now I see your point. Nevermind.

The problem is the URL is just text, not a hyperlink. You could just make your own Web page recreating everything as a link, and then it would work. Heck, you could even do it in a forum post right here, just like applexilef did.
  7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
  8. Logik macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    nice video though... the video quality is horrid (as far as details) i was originally looking at it thinking it was a buick 455 with a turbo but there's no way a 30 year old block could handle that torque... so i turned the sound on and indeed i was correct.. sounds like a 3.8L with a big ass turbo on it... weeeeee i am actually looking at getting a GN sometime soon.

DEFINITELY if you are into buicks check out the BPG meet next august.. i heard it was an absolute blast this year.. sadly i missed it due to health issues and my car was... uh.. not really ready for the trip.. hopefully i'll be there next year

as for the actual issue concerning the downloading... i think os x comes with wget... open up terminal and wget .. easiest way i can think of.. i think you can even run a list through it.. so create a file .. each line has a address.. and i think you can feed that list into wget and it'll snag them all at once? anyone know for sure?

edit: yes you can do this... put your links to the videos in a file... one per line (just readable by you, spaces would work i think)... then from the command line, "wget -i filename" and it'll grab all the links from that file
  9. lancerx78 macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2004
    easy solution

you can always paste the link into Safari's Downloads window to directly download the file.
  10. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Sweet trick - I was unaware of that one. Thanks!
  11. Applexilef thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2004
    That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for!. Thanks!