downloading

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

I have both OS X and 9.2.2 on my computer and I have been trying to download a screen saver but when I try to it downloads it onto the 9.2.2 and then I get a screen that says, needs to be OS X.
    What am I doing wrong??
    Cindy

2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

What screensaver are you downloading? What browser are you using? What OS are you using when you download?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Re: downloading

Since you just got a new emac, I assume you have 10.2.x ;) Are you running both OS X and 9.2.2 at the same time? I rarely if ever use 9.2.2 so have never run into the problem but you might try shutting down 9.2.2 and give that a shot. It might also mean that the screen saver you are trying to download is for 9.2 and it's trying to tell you that you need the OS X version.

Also, I highly recommend using Safari from Apple it's a great browser.

4. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

The browser I'm using is Explorer. And I have no idea if I'm running 9.2.2 along with OS X. I'm using OS X but, how do I know if 9.2.2 is running also??
    I've been using computers for a few years but, I have been using only email and surfing the net on my old (dead now) iMac 8.5 system.
    Tell me how to shut down the 9.2.2 Because alot of things that I try downloading, it downloads in 9.2.2
    My scanner is working in 9.2.2 --- duh -- I guess I am running both then. :eek:

Ijust downloaded the memory stick but have not installed it yet. I better wait and see how to shut down 9.2.2 before I do because I have a feeling that it won't download in OS X.
    Cindy

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

To see if 9's running, go to System Preferences and click Classic. There are 3 buttons on the screen. If 9 is running, the buttons are Stop, Restart, and Force Quit. Click Stop to shut down OS 9.

On the other hand, the buttons may say Start, Restart, and Force Quit. In this case, 9 is already shut down and you don't need to do anything.

So in summary, go to System Preferences then click Classic. If there's a Stop button, click it :)

6. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Nermal: Oh thanks so much!! Yes, it was running. I stopped it.
    I don't know what I do without you guys.
    Cindy

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is a problem with scanners, many of the manufacturers didn't make drivers for OS X so you have to use 9.2. I would unplug the scanner's USB cable from the computer. Then quit any programs that are running in Classic/9.2. That should get you out of Classic/9.2. If it doesn't work go to the finder apple and click forcequit, choose classic environment and you're on your way.

Also, are you using IE in 9.2 or in OS X? If it's in 9.2 that may be part of the problem. Safari only works in OS X so that would eliminate the problem of which OS you're using.

Hope this helps, like I say I rarely use Classic/9.2.

8. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

That is a problem with scanners, many of the manufacturers didn't make drivers for OS X so you have to use 9.2. I would unplug the scanner's USB cable from the computer. Then quit any programs that are running in Classic/9.2. That should get you out of Classic/9.2. If it doesn't work go to the finder apple and click forcequit, choose classic environment and you're on your way.

Also, are you using IE in 9.2 or in OS X? If it's in 9.2 that may be part of the problem. Safari only works in OS X so that would eliminate the problem of which OS you're using.

Ugg: I went in and shut down 9.2.2 -- It was running. I don't know if I'm using IE in 9.2 or OS X. umm.... I'm using it now and 9.2 is shut down. It just says, IE 5.2
    I glanced at the Safari. Is that a free dowload? I just did a quick glance.
    Ok, this is getting complicated. If I got Safari, I would have to re-install my printer and everything correct?
    Would I get an icon at the bottom of my screen where IE is? Would I want to keep IE on board?
    Cindy

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

IE must be in OS X now if 9.2 is shut down so your downloads should go ok. Safari is a free download from Apple, it is super quick and you'll like it! When and if you download it, it will appear as an icon on your desktop.

If you drag that icon or any other icon for that matter onto your dock it will copy it there and the original icon will stay on the desktop. (if you don't want an icon in the dock, just drag it to the trash. Don't worry, you're not trashing the application, just a copy of the icon. ) It took me a long time to figure that one out on my own.

I use both Safari and IE. Safari is faster but it is still a beta release so it works great with 95% of all websites but the other 5% you'll probably want to use IE.

In regards to the printer, no, you won't have to reinstall it.

I hope I'm not confusing you too much here!

10. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

No, no confusion at all. I'm learning FAST. I've been at this computer now for three days with little breaks!
    I don't know anything about beta but, I did see somewhere (at a screen saver site) that they were offering a beta download and that they couldn't be held responsible for any damages. What did that mean? Can beta harm the computer??
    Cindy

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Most likely not, but the program might crash more frequently and other programs might not run very well. In other threads there has been mention of screen savers not "playing well with others" so I would advise caution. With Safari or any other release from Apple, the problems are minimal.

Beta versions are more or less test runs. meaning the application isn't ready for prime time but it functions pretty well.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I think in this case it means that altho it functions pretty damn well, Apple is just not ready to sign the thing yet-- it takes them a very long time to properly tweak a program to their standards...

I agree that you should get Safari, like they said, you'll want to have the actual Safari program in your Applications folder (I do not remember where it places it on install, it may well be the desktop)... Then drag it to the dock to put it's icon there, so you don't have to worry about finding the program. Also, you don't have to drag icons to the trash (sort of counter-intuitive), you can just drag them out of the Dock-- a little 'poof' and they're gone from there (but the program/file itself is still on your computer!)

You'll certainly want to customize your dock as your experience grows and your needs change-- most of the apps that came preinstalled there you don't use, and many that you *do* use aren't there-- it's a great place to keep frequently used programs/files, but it can get cluttered fast-- make sure you 'poof' all of the icons that you don't use anymore. And if you're done with the program/file totally (forever), delete it from it's original location-- to keep your hard drive clutter-free.

[edit]: Go to your scanner manufacturer's site to see if there is an OS X version of the software-- it may have been released after the install CD's were made. 9.2.2 is actually Apple's old operating system, so you want to use it as little as possible-- it's there to make the ongoing transition to OS X easier, but eventually it will be gone. Plus, since the two OS's work in very different ways, it can be incredibly confusing to understand... if you're daring enough to risk occasional incompatability (like, finding a really cool game for Mac that still doesn't have an OS X version or something), you may consider removing 9.2.2 entirely. Just to prevent headache.

just some tips :)
    pnw

13. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i just wanna say for those of you who don't know, you can also make it quicker and go to foce quit, and quit classic from there.