downloads dissapearing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ethan101, Dec 13, 2006.

1. ethan101 macrumors member

Dec 3, 2006
    hi all

it seems that when i download an application like msn messenger it stays on my desktop until i turn off my macbook pro. when i turn it back on the icon on the desktop is gone and i cannot find the application using finder

its probably a easy question. as you can tell i am new to mac os x (second day using)

thanks for the help
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    When you download an app it downloads as a .dmg file and opens as a virtual disk drive which contains the application. To properly install the app, either drag the app to your applications folder or run the installer (it depends on the application).

It sounds like you are running the app directly from the virtual disk drive which automatically "ejects" itself after a restart.

You may want to check This Guide out.
  3. ethan101 thread starter macrumors member

Dec 3, 2006

thats exaclly what it is thanks man.

so whats the deal with that? why does mac get you to download something then you have to place it somewhere? ohh and how do you uninstall programs properly?

4. worriedmac macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2006
    Its a neat way to download things. Apps that you don't want just delete, I believe a few require an uninstaller but they tell you if thats needed in the help me file when installing. Disk images for apps allow you to have multiple files bundle without compression. I don't know the other benefits.
  5. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    this is one of the reasons why Macs are more secure. by downloading a disk image (.dmg file), you have to type your password to install it. by doing this, the OS is making sure whoever is placing the app in the applications folder (i.e., you - the user) has the authority to do so.

to uninstall, simply drag the icon of the application you want to delete to the trash.