Downloads dont open up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bdugan, Sep 23, 2006.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

For some reason, when I download a file, my computer doesnt know what to do with it. I downloaded windows media player the other day and the computer didnt know what to open the file with, and i downloaded a video clip of my brothers baseball game the other day and it opened in an excel file. What is wrong with my computer? Is there any way to fix this?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure what file extensions you're attempting to open but if they end in .sit or .sitx, you need to have Stuffit Expander available.

You should probably not bother with Windows Media Player since it's been discontinued. Use Flip4Mac, a plug-in for QuickTime Player, instead.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Don't download Windows Media Player as it clearly says not to on Microsoft's web site.

Instead you want to download Flip4Mac, which it also clearly says to on Microsoft's web site. Macs do not come with the ability to play Windows Media files out of the box since they don't run Windows. Flip4Mac is an extension to QuickTime to allow it to handle Windows Media files.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wmcomponents.mspx

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Check your settings and see what your computer is using as the default opener also do you have stufit?

Bless