Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdeschenes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I have several technical glitches that I would like to try an solve. Just received my new DP 1.25 and have had nothing but problems with it.

First: when power saver on, it goes ’’to sleep’’ but will not wake up. The screen remains blacked out. I have to unplug it from the back as I cannot find a start button on this crappy white keyboard. Is there somewhere on the preferences that will make it wake up I have place the power manager to never sleep as I dont want to keep unplugging the computer to wake it up.

Second; how can I change the keyboard option out of French mode. Everytime I try to push colon, semi-colon, question mark and the like, all I get are french accents over an e.

Third; I tried loading VPC 6 (DOS) version then my own copy of XP home onto it. I allocated over the maximum ram (I have 1.25 Gb ram). When I try to open a PC file while in VPC, the computer crashes. I have experienced over a dozen serious crashes since starting up my new computer and I am getting very frustrated. It crashed so badly yesterday that I had to wipe out the hard drive and re-install OS X as the startup would not complete the full cycle.

Fourth: Is there such a thing as a decent sound card for a Mac I would like something like Soundblaster audigy.

Hopefully the wise can set me on the right path.

Mike

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: DP 1.25 wont wake up

Originally posted by mdeschenes
I have several technical glitches that I would like to try an solve. Just received my new DP 1.25 and have had nothing but problems with it.

First: when power saver on, it goes ??to sleep?? but will not wake up. The screen remains blacked out. I have to unplug it from the back as I cannot find a start button on this crappy white keyboard. Is there somewhere on the preferences that will make it wake up I have place the power manager to never sleep as I dont want to keep unplugging the computer to wake it up.

Second; how can I change the keyboard option out of French mode. Everytime I try to push colon, semi-colon, question mark and the like, all I get are french accents over an e.

Third; I tried loading VPC 6 (DOS) version then my own copy of XP home onto it. I allocated over the maximum ram (I have 1.25 Gb ram). When I try to open a PC file while in VPC, the computer crashes. I have experienced over a dozen serious crashes since starting up my new computer and I am getting very frustrated. It crashed so badly yesterday that I had to wipe out the hard drive and re-install OS X as the startup would not complete the full cycle.

Fourth: Is there such a thing as a decent sound card for a Mac I would like something like Soundblaster audigy.

Hopefully the wise can set me on the right path.

Mike

That sleep issue sounds bad :-( A while ago apple removed the power button from the keyboard. It is probably to press the reset button on the g4 than to unplug it. You probably should speak to apple.

As far as a "Decent" sound card there are a couple of sound cards from m-audio and sound blaster. I have a m-audio audiophile 2496 in my Powermac G4.

Hope you are able to solve your problem

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
The power button is on the front of your machine.

To wake it up...what do you do?

I feel like I shouldn't have to ask but....did yu try hitting any of the keys?

Another question for you: Does your computer stop being noisy when it sleeps?

did you select french as the language when going through the installer???? honestly...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.