DP 2.0 with extra memory or DP 2.5 with less memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macharrington, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. macharrington macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2003
    #1
    If I've got a limited amount to spend am I better off getting a 2.0 and spending the money on loading up with memory from someone like crucial, or spending the money on the 2.5 vs 2.0 with less memory? I plan on using (learning) final cut pro, does memory make more difference to my performance or the 2.5? thanks for taking the time to answer? dan
     
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

    Applespider

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Location:
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    #2
    I'd buy the 2.5 if I were you.

    It's going to be a lot easier/cheaper to buy more RAM for it in a year or so when you have upgrade cash than to upgrade the processor!
     
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

    musicpyrite

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Cape Cod
    #3
    Well the difference between the 2.0 and the 2.5 is $500, so I'm going to assume that if you buy the 2.0 you'll spend the extra $500 on RAM.

    I'd say go with the 2.0 and get 2 gigs of RAM from Crucial.

    A 2.0 with 2.5 GB of RAM will be better in Final Cut than a 2.5 with 512 MB.
     
  4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

    jackieonasses

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    Location:
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    #4
    get the 2.5 you got liquid cooling to impress your friends! and as one of the guys said above. you can upgrade lateer!

    okay let me add some stuff. both comps will preform extremely well for what he does (or knows how to do) as his skills get better he will have mooney to get more ram. but i have a single 1.8 (what my parents bought me) with 512 and i do some pretty hardcore stuff.
     
  5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

    Duff-Man

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Location:
    Albuquerque, NM
    #5
    Duff-Man says....I would buy the 2.5 myself, then add more ram later when I had the money. I think you'd definitely notice the 20% speed boost that the 2.5's seem to be benchmarking at. The other factor in your decision is timing - if you order a 2.5 now you will probably be waiting 4-6 weeks...a dual 2.0 can be had fairly quickly.....oh yeah!
     
  6. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #6
    I would also recommend getting the 2.5 now. Then when you have the money saved up purchase more RAM.
     
  7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Location:
    anywhere, usa
    #7
    Get the 2.0 with extra ram, and then in a couple years pick up a used dual-CORE 3+Ghz G5 (recently announced) that are supposed to blow away the current dual 2.5's. I wish I had done that, but heck you gotta take the plunge at some point. The 2.5 is only about 25% faster than a 2.0 (duh) which is only incremental in comparison with what we'll be seeing in the next 12 months. Also, buy opting not to may the three grand for the the top-end model, you spare yourself some of the disappointment when they lower the price in several months. Besides, you can invest some of your savings in a better graphics card if that's your schtick.
     
  8. TheGimp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Location:
    anywhere, usa
    #8
    One more thing - I just noticed that you're planning to use FCP. Well that's a no-brainer: extra Ram makes a much bigger difference than processor speed (assuming of course you're already in the Dual G5 market, but even a dual 1.4 G4 w/ loads of ram will outdo a Dual 2.5 with 512mb). Even on Photoshop, there was a Macaddict review of a G4 upgrade module which revealed that even doubling the processor speed made less of a difference than adding more ram in the slower computer.

    As far as waiting for the Ram prices to come down, the 512mb chips from Crucial are already pretty affordable, and you 8 ram slots with any dual G5
    to fill with the 1 giggers when they come down.
     
  9. jsw Moderator emeritus

    jsw

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2004
    Location:
    Andover, MA
    #9
    Except the dual-1.8, of course!

    I'd go with the 2.5 if, as others have said, you have the time and you'll be able to afford RAM in the near future. I'd say 1GB total is a minumum for you, 1.5GB total is usable, and 2GB would be quite nice. Could you afford something like that soon?
     
  10. macharrington thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2003
    #10
    In reading the posts it appears that the memory is more important than processor speed. Consequently, i'm probably leaning towards spending the 500 i save on memory, and getting a nicer monitor, either 23, or maybe even 30. any idea how long one of these LCD monitors should last. I think the bigger screen would add to the enjoyment more than the processor speed. Guess it always comes down to trade-offs on where you want to spend your money. thanks for your feedback.
     
  11. Bhennies macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Location:
    NYC & Baltimore
    #11
    if you want to wait for it, get the dual 2.5. It's gonna be a WHILE.
     
  12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #12
    If you want to do FinalCut Pro, then get the Dual 2.0ghz with extra RAM and a 23" display. I say this because the Dual 2.5ghz won't even ship to you for months (seriously). Also, as many have said, FCP loves RAM more than CPU (2GB is the sweet spot). Also, the 30" display would require you to buy the 6800 Ultra, which is an extra $500 :eek: You will find the 23" large enough for any video projects, its quite a huge monitor when you actually use it... and it will last for a very long time :D
     
  13. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #13
    Duff-Man:

    I'd like to know about these 2.0 vs 2.5 benchmarks, got a link?
     
  14. pighuddle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #14
    hmm. This makes some sense but I can't figure out if the MP chips will show up anytime soon. The WWDC keynote suggested to me that it would be some time before we saw 3gHz so I thought it would be safe(r) to go ahead and get a 2.5 and have the top-o-the-line for a good while before the inevitable price-drop. This new config changes things though. If I thought the MP chipped PowerMacs were going to be available January-ish, say, I might change my 2.5 order to a 2.0 and spend the dif on RAM.

    When people start taking delivery on the 2.5s (early this week) we should get some clarity on how good/fast/stable the new LC Macs are. If there's any sign that they're not 'all-that' I might change my order.

    ...decisions, decisions.
     
  15. pighuddle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #15
    benchmarks
     
  16. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #16
    pighuddle:

    Hmm, can't say that Cinebench is something I run too much. ;) But thanks.
     
  17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #17
    Memory is easy and cheap to upgrade later on, processors are not. 2.5, no question.

    Of course, the 2.5 does depend how long you can wait :rolleyes:
     
  18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

    BornAgainMac

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    Location:
    Florida Resident
    #18
    Get the 2 Ghz with extra ram and not the 2.5. People are telling you that you can upgrade later with the 2.5. Well, you can upgrade later with the 2.0 because $500 bucks isn't going to buy you 8 GB of ram. You have lots of growing space but you will have a nice starting point with $500 bucks of RAM.

    And the argument that you can't upgrade the processors isn't that valid. In 2 years we probably will see major CPU increases from IBM and that 2.5 and 2.0 seem closely the same speed in comparsion.

    Get the RAM and you will be happy.
     
  19. pighuddle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #19
    Yea, what is Cinebench? There's more benchmarks on the Apple site too.

    more benchmarks

    What do you suppose the odds are that the RAM for the 970fx and the 970MP will be compatible? ...I know, very low. But if they were the RAM invested in the 2.0 could be brought along.
     
  20. slughead macrumors 68030

    slughead

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2004
    #20
    25% more PROCESSOR speed for $450..

    Three words:

    NOT WORTH IT.

    You WILL NOT notice 25% faster speeds nor will you notice where your money's going.

    The 2.5 model is JUST for people who are totally fixated on getting a TOTL computer.
     
  21. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #21
    pighuddle:

    Hmmm, well is the 970mp anything other than a rumor at this point? I wouldn't recommend trying to justify purchases based on something that is as likely as not made up by someone who was looking for page hits.
     
  22. pighuddle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #22
    Slightly more than a rumor anyway: 970mp info
     
  23. pighuddle macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #23
    Then why don't you switch you're order to a 2.0?

    Even though I ordered the 2.5 I continue to have my doubts.
     
  24. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

    jackieonasses

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    Location:
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    #24
    25% is worth it! it is like a 1 ghz powerbook and a 1.25 of the same breed. it is worth it!
     
  25. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #25
    pighuddle:

    Interesting. I consider that article much more important for the credibility aspect than for any information divulged.

    jackieonasses:

    You are making the assumption that both platforms scale equally in performance with the clock speed increase. I have my doubts about the performance scaling of the 970fx but lack enough information to draw solid conclusions. (That is the reason I am very interested in new 2.0ghz vs 2.5ghz benchmarks.)
     

Share This Page