1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

dp 2.5 issues.. heat and hissing sound

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fowler., Sep 13, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

This is my first G5, so, there are a couple things that I'm wondering about.

The computer runs pretty warm. I haven't checked out how hot using a hardware monitor, but it feels like, it's producing a lot of heat on the outside. Almost to the point where it seems like it's making my room really warm.

Maybe I'm being paranoid... or it's been a while since I've lived in Pasadena during the summer.

Secondly, there is this little hissing noise thats coming from the computer. I've read around and have seen people mentioning a chirping sound, which doesn't really describe what mine is doing. Sometimes the hissing is sustained in little 1 or 2 second incrimints (sp?)... so that has me wondering.

I've worked on a 2.0 at work for a little bit and have never noticed any of these things... my room mate also has one (a 2.0).. he's never mentioned a thing.. and I've never noticed it when I've used his machine.

So yeah, any advice you guys can give will be appreciated.

2. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Here are some temps I got using Hardware monitor:

Main Logic Board Backside 111.0°F
    CPU A Die Temperature 171.2°F
    Processor Card A Ambient 122.0°F
    CPU B Die Temperature 163.7°F
    Processor Card B Ambient 117.5°F
    Drive Bay 89.6°F
    SMART Disk ST3160023AS (3JS3JXMS)104.0°F
    Memory Controller Heatsink 162.1°F

edit, okay, those seem to be normal.

3. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Call Apple and ask about the hissing noise. Theres a chance that its just the liquid cooling, or maybe Power Napping (perfectly normal).

4. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Yeah, I've done a little searching, (probably what I should have done before I posted) and that seems to be the consensus.

5. macrumors G5

Sun Baked