DP G4 1.43 or DP G5 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by corbin_a2, Sep 1, 2004.

1. corbin_a2 macrumors regular

Jan 7, 2002
    A friend of mine is into making movies w/ final cut and some graphic design work as well. Anyhow he was about to drop $2450 (standard DP1.8 G5 with 256 ram and 250mb hard disk) plus $250 more for an extra 1.5 gig of memory. Then he got the opportunity to get a used DP G4 1.43 w/ 2 gig of ram and 160mb hard disk for the price of $1900.

So what is the better deal? The G4 is top of the line in every respect and would save him $550 towards a 20” display, but is it too old for the price?
  2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Tough decision. The thing to keep in mind is that the G5 will last longer because it is 64bit and is a faster computer. Also remember it will be years before we start seeing G4 to G5 upgrades.

And remember G4's are adequite, but G5's scream.
  3. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    The G5 all the way. There will NEVER be any G4-to-G5 upgrades, it would mean replacing the motherboard, RAM, etc. Way too much for a processor upgrade. At this point, the G5 will last longer and keep your friend from wanting to buy a new machine in three or four years instead of one or two.

While I personally wouldn't buy the high end line of any machine (I don't think the price/performance holds up on the high end PowerMac) I wouldn't buy old technology unless it was significantly cheaper. $550 isn't worth it, at least to me.