DP G4 vs. SP G5 in the Thunderdome!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by livingfortoday, Oct 12, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I'm on a posting spree tonight...

So, I want to gloat to my dad about my new Cube upgrade, but I'm not sure if I can yet. I'm not sure if my Cube is now faster than his G5... so I want some opinions. I'm gonna list the two setups, and you can tell me which you think is faster. I'm just not sure 'cause I know the G5 is a faster processor overall, plus it's got a much faster Bus speed than the Cube. But the Cube is a dual-processor machine now, versus his single G5!

Powermac G5
    SP1.6 Ghz G5
    800Mhz Bus
    1 GB PC2700 RAM
    Radeon 9600 64MB

DP1.5Ghz G4
    100Mhz Bus
    1 GB PC100 RAM
    GeForce FX 5200 128MB

So! Head to head! Toe to toe! Who wins!?

Two Macs enter! One Mac leave! Two Macs enter! One Mac leave!
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    in things that only use 1 processor his is faster, in things that use two processors yours is

except that his bus is 8 times better than yours which makes his that much better.

also your slow RAM doesn't help
  3. iEdd macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2005
    Sorry, but his is much faster, as yours only beats his on one number, aswell as the better graphics...
  4. andy89 macrumors 6502

May 22, 2005
    Folkestone, England
    Isn't there a Dual 1.8 upgrade for the cube? - Should of got that
    Does his G5 have a superdrive? - if not you gotta get one

1 question - is your cube fast enough to play games like doom 3 and halo?

Coz I wanna get a 'cube and upgrade it. :cool:
  5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    The fastest upgrade so far is a dual-1.7Ghz for the Cube, but I think Gigadesigns is making a dual 1.8. And the Cube can only take AGP 2x video cards, so it's really limited in what it can do in that sense. So no, my Cube will probably never play Doom 3.

However if you go to cubeowner.com, you'll see some people have somehow managed to get 10k Raptor drives in their Cubes, as well as Radeon 9800's. So, maybe it IS possible, it's just pretty impossible for my Cube.
  6. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    In raw CPU power, you've got him whipped hands down. The G4 delivers more performance per clock cycle than the G5, so a single G4 1.5 would do well against a single 1.6 G5. However, the cube is far more limited when it comes to bus speeds, RAM speed, and many many other internal factors, so I don't think that you'd come out ahead in too many tests.